Sick Fish

lola6964(5)July 12, 2013

Hi Everyone,

I have a goldfish that hasn't seemed very lively for a week or so and today I can see a long white thin thread trailing from his body, and some of the white scales look funny when viewing him from the top. I haven't caught him to look at him closer since I don't want to stress him.

Any ideas what this is? Parasites? How should I best treat him? I have two other goldfish in my little half barrel pond as well.

Thanks in advance,

Chris

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
sleeplessinftwayne(z4-5 IND)

What you see is 99% possibility poop. You can feed him fresh cooked peas that have been peeled( just squeeze them). The peas are a tonic and a laxative. Worry about the scales later.

Bookmark   July 12, 2013 at 3:51PM
lola6964(5)

LOL, ok. I'd rather think that it's poop than an anchor worm or something, but this is a long thread, not a short one, so maybe it's not a worm.

Will try the peas, and maybe catch this guy later on and look at his scales.

Thanks!

Chris

Bookmark   July 12, 2013 at 4:08PM
lola6964(5)

I took a picture of my fish. I can't see the white thread now, but this spot looks funny to me.

Bookmark   July 12, 2013 at 4:35PM

Hey, Chris. At the moment it looks like he has a scrape. Watch it for a couple more days and see if it gets worse. If it is something serious it will change for the worse. If it is just a scrape it will start to heal. Sometimes an injury can get infected. That is what you need to be aware of happening. It is not a parasite although parasites are opportunistic. The lethargy is always worrisome.

Some fish can get trapped in small spaces they could swim through before or can get roughed up by other fish or panic and crash into the sides or even get sucked against a pump tube. All of those can cause scrape injuries. They can lose scales and still heal up fine. You just have to keep an eye out for changes.If those happen someone here will likely be able to tell what it is. Watch the gills and for streaks on the fins in particular.

Bookmark   July 12, 2013 at 7:15PM
lola6964(5)

Thanks so much for all of the help. What am I watching the gills for though?

Bookmark   July 12, 2013 at 8:29PM
ademink(z5a-5b Indianapolis)

If the gills get really red. And streaky fins can mean septicemia - which means internal infection. How is he doing now?

Bookmark   July 15, 2013 at 10:47PM
lola6964(5)

He seems better. I've fed him peas for several days, which he seems to like, and I think he's more active now as well.

Bookmark   July 17, 2013 at 9:53PM

awesome! you may want to test your water and wach for high nitrites also. :)

Bookmark   July 17, 2013 at 10:18PM
lola6964(5)

On that note..I've been looking for test kits online. I could really use suggestions for what kinds are best, and what tests are necessary?

Thanks All!

Chris

Bookmark   July 18, 2013 at 9:34PM

I personally use the API liquid test kit. I also have a digital pH meter by Koi Medic, as well as a salt meter by Koi Medic (you can find them on Ebay). What I test religiously:

Ammonia
Nitrites
Nitrates
pH

I test the salt if I am using it...obviously. :)

Bookmark   July 18, 2013 at 10:51PM

Chris, how is your fishie doing?

Bookmark   July 23, 2013 at 4:58PM
lola6964(5)

My little fishie is doing great! He seems to be eating like a champ. Once it looked like he would be ok and nothing serious was wrong, I bought him a couple little pals.
All seems well, so I'm a happy ponder. Is that a word? haha

I received my test kit today so I can find out how the water is doing. The ammonia test says it is for aquariums treated with salt water, so I hope it works for my little non-salt water treated ponds.

Thanks for asking about my fish!

Chris

Bookmark   July 23, 2013 at 11:19PM
More Discussions
Making Mechanical Prefilter for submersible pump
My medium sized pond is currently using the Savio watermaster...
supahenzi
Strange plant in my pond
Hello everyone.. i live in central florida, have a...
cadmaster
Dressing and coping a formal pond
Is there any general advice for how to dress the interior...
ysrgrathe PA 6b
Skippy Installation - Lots of Pictures
I spent last weekend redoing the pools at the top of...
pcan
Question about pond vacs
I have a 300 gallon stock tank, sunk in the ground...
catherinet
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™