Japanese Holly winter damage

persongardenerMarch 30, 2010

Last fall I planted 3 (3 gal.) Ilex crenata in a raised berm (18 inches) under a deciduous tree. We had a cold winter, but plenty of moisture. All three of the Japanese hollies look dead, but the inner stems show signs of life if I clip them. There is no new growth yet. I'm trying to decide if I should go ahead and replace them or give it a while to see if they are going to rejuvenate. Has anyone out there had pretty severe winter damage to these hollies before? How long did it take for them to come back?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Embothrium(USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA)

These are very hardy, although maybe yours may not have had time to root out before the cold came.

Root rot can be a problem with this species.

Bookmark   March 30, 2010 at 2:11PM
persongardener

The raised berm was supposed to help prevent root rot. Hardiness was part of the reason I chose this plant. We usually have such mild winters, so maybe I did plant a little late. I think I'll give them a couple more weeks to see if any green appears.

Bookmark   March 30, 2010 at 2:44PM
sunnytop

I had holly that looked dead with green on the inner parts. They resprouted leaves when it warmed up and were fine.

Bookmark   March 30, 2010 at 9:09PM
Embothrium(USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA)

If a plant comes already infested it can go downhill after planting, regardless of conditions provided by new site.

If planted with intact potting soil or field soil root-balls, quite different in texture from the surrounding soil on the new site there can be problems with how water enters and exists the original soil balls.

This is also why you do not want to plant in amended backfill, the amended planting hole may have water movement problems.

If there is also an intact potting soil or field soil root-ball inside the amended planting hole, then you now have three different soil textures involved.

Bookmark   April 1, 2010 at 1:08AM
ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5

on pruning .. when i doubt .. give it another month .. or two ...

you can ALWAYS take it off later...

but you can never put them back on ...

ken

Bookmark   April 1, 2010 at 11:51AM
earthy1

I have seen a lot of winter damage on hollies. If the wood is green you will be surprised what they do when temps are right. I have tipped mine back.

Bookmark   April 2, 2010 at 6:45AM
More Discussions
'Sugar Shack' Buttonbush
Anyone have experience with this cultivar? I've always...
northraleighguy
Evergreen Privacy Shrub Hedge
I want to plant an evergreen shrub hedge as a privacy...
clivebengal
Lilac budding bright green in zero temps!
We have had cold temps and tons of snow this winter...
wcgarden
What variety of evergreen shrubs are these?
The photo files aren't rotated on my computer so I...
stlmom77
Thoughts about these four dwarf evergreens?
Blue Star Juniper Pinus nigra 'Pierrick Bregeon' AKA...
zaphod42 SE WI
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™