Protecting Flower Buds on Viburnum from Cold

ejr2005(Eastern MA)March 25, 2012

I'm so excited - my Viburnum carlesii has flower buds for the first time since I planted a small plant about three years ago. It's supposed to get down to 22 degrees here Monday night - wondering if I need to cover it. I had a large wire cage around it over the winter (my critters love those tasty shoots) so it would be pretty easy to drape something over the cage if need be.

Also wondering if my V. carlesii and V. x burkwoodie 'Mohawk' could pollinate each other.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
laceyvail(6A, WV)

Hard to see how a sheet could protect agains a very hard freeze.

Bookmark   March 28, 2012 at 6:27AM
viburnumvalley(z5/6 KY)

I hope the poster from eastern MA successfully protected the viburnums against the nasty freezing temps.

V. carlesii and 'Mohawk' can indeed cross pollinate - V. carlesii is one of the parents of 'Mohawk'. As long as they overlap in bloom time and there are pollinating insects in action, you should be rewarded with some fruit set on these plants.

Bookmark   March 29, 2012 at 11:45PM
ejr2005(Eastern MA)

Thanks guys. I put a sheet and an old quilt over the cage. Don't know how effective it was - the wind was really strong and was blowing the covers around along with the rocks I tried to anchor them with.

The buds look pretty much the same to my eye - time will tell. My Mohawk unfortunately only has one bud. I moved it last year and it had taken about 3 years to get any buds in its original spot. At least I'll see if they open at the same time, though this year is so crazy.

Bookmark   March 30, 2012 at 10:49PM
More Discussions
what's this on my Viburnum?
I have two otherwise healthy Viburnum 'Autumn Jazz'...
skidoo22
Coppicing Red Twig Dogwood Best Method?
Do you cut all of your red twig dogwood stems down...
jackbe1
Mixing Lilacs
I have a large section of yard that is filled with...
MsKitty31
What would be a good flowering shrub in Zone 9?
Hello I'm looking for a good flowering shrub that I...
flyinbtsomypants (WestCent.FL Z9b-10a)
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™