Hardening off Question

HillSeeker(3B)April 25, 2013

I'm attempting to harden off my European Greenhouse cucumbers & Melons and they are not liking it at all. The temperature is around 15-20 degrees C and haven't gave them too much light. I only put them out for 10 minutes today and they are really droopy. I've lost a few plants already from trying to harden them off as well over the course of the few days. I haven't had any problems with tomatoes or peppers.

Suggestions?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mswillis5

They appear dry, how dry is the soil? A good watering should help them jump back.

Bookmark   April 26, 2013 at 5:52AM
BigN_187(9)

I'm in a completely different zone than you, but my container zucchinis had the same issues. What I did was set them out in the sun in the morning, and by about noon, they would start drooping a little. I just totally soaked the soil they were in with water, moved them into a shady area to recover, then do it again the next day. It took about a week for then to get hardened off and stop getting shocked.

Bookmark   April 26, 2013 at 10:09PM
maj742(5)

When I bring my plants outdoors, I always put them in a cold frame I made out of old storm windows. I cover it with lightweight cloth to shade the plants for a day or two, then add more light as they adapt.

Bookmark   April 26, 2013 at 10:46PM
More Discussions
calling all Canadians
Any Canadian wanting a seedling heat mat Home Hardware...
dowlinggram
how do you pre-moisten your bagged growing mix?
Never really thought about this until now... Am I going...
njitgrad
Growing without heat mats
So I have only been growing from seed for a few years...
planterjeff
Best websites/catalogs to order from for seed?
What are your favorite websites or catalogs to order...
sarcastichousewife
Need Advice........
I sowed flats of New Guinea Imps & Begonias 3 weeks...
gltrap54
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™