Simple mistake has me puzzled

futuredep(5b)August 21, 2014

Good afternoon all,

I am a "somewhat" experienced plant-grower, that has recently taken up vegetable gardening. Though I have read up on some of the different plants that I am trying to grow, I made a simple mistake that has left me a bit puzzled.

In the same starting container, I planted a seed from a store-bought lemon, and expected it to germinate within a few weeks, since I did follow the advice to strip the outer shell via water/cold. However, about a month passed and still, nothing. So, I dug around a little (lightly at first), and could not locate any germination or even the original seed. So, I cleared it out a little bit and planted a sugar baby watermelon seed. That, as in the attached photo, is in the middle of the three sprouts (I can identify that one as I have another that is identical, and I have grown them before.). That being said, I now have three things sticking out of the dirt, only one of them I actually know what it is.

I attempted to look for lemon tree beginnings on the internet and found the lighter sprout (far right) to look quite a bit like a lemon beginning; there are two leaves embedded in the dirt, with a stock growing in the center. I've seen a few photos of lemon sprouts having two similar leaves right at the dirt level while a stock grows up from its center.

Then, we call into play the tallest sprouting on the far left. It, too *kind of* reminds me of the dark green color of lemon tree leaves, but I have not seen anything like it in my research of citrus plants. I know I have only dropped lemon seeds and the sugar baby watermelon into this dirt.

Head spinning? Mine is. I know it may be a bit too early to tell exactly what each sprout is, but if someone might be able to tell me if I just didn't wait long enough for the lemon to grow, I would appreciate it. I imagine the lemon would not like to be cared for as a watermelon, nor the watermelon as a lemon. And I just realized... melon and lemon are all the same letters!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
futuredep(5b)

This is another angle of the same...

Bookmark   August 21, 2014 at 6:38PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
missingtheobvious(Blue Ridge 7a)

I'd say that the one which is a deeper green is the lemon. To me, it looks more like the seedling of a woody plant (essentially a shrub or tree) as opposed to an herbaceous seedling (a soft-stemmed plant).

Bookmark   August 21, 2014 at 7:13PM
More Discussions
plant id please!!
Need help with id of the groundcover in this pic.
Sarah Venn
Flowering deciduous tree
Another mystery tree on our property has started flowering,...
pugetsoundgardener
blakrab Centex
Trying to ID a bromeliad
This bromeliad is fairly large --at least 3 feet in...
Dave in NoVA • 7a • Northern VA
Trailing Gardenia roots-Ok or diseased?
Got this gardenia plant from a neighbor today. It...
elaineal
Sponsored Products
Textured Lines Rug 8' x 10' - NAVY
$2,599.00 | Horchow
Hunter Ceiling Fans Builder Deluxe 52 in. White Ceiling Fan 53089
Home Depot
Laura Ashley Lamp Shades Charlotte 10.5 in. Sage Barrel Shade Green SBC310
$24.99 | Home Depot
Flexible Cutting Board Set
$8.99 | zulily
Martin Pepper Mill
| Dot & Bo