Peony poppies

golden_ca_2000(BC Canada)April 6, 2007

I was given some peony poppy seeds a couple of years ago - I actually just found them in my garage - lol. Anyways - does anyone know if they will still take?? They are in a little plastic container and they look fine - dry etc. The temperature in the garage never gets to freezing or anything? I would say the seeds are 2 years old. Golden

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
karyn1(7a)

You have nothing to lose so I'd go ahead and sow them. I've had seeds (not poppies) that were over 5 yrs old and stored in terrible conditions germinate at a decent rate.
Karyn

Bookmark   April 6, 2007 at 10:07PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
quirkpod(7 Lewisville NC)

Here in NC z 7 and where I lived in MA z6, I sowed them in January for their proper freeze treatment needed for germination. See this handy germination guide link. They then germinate in early Spring and bloom in June. From there, we let them form seed pods, go to seed and self-sow. Some will germinate and remain like small green lettuce plants thru cold Winters. Others will germinate in Spring. Either way, you cant lose. I grow the pink Peony Poppies but there are many different forms and colors. Irresistable!

Here is a link that might be useful: Thompson Morgan seed guide

Bookmark   March 16, 2009 at 3:25PM
More Discussions
calling all Canadians
Any Canadian wanting a seedling heat mat Home Hardware...
dowlinggram
Recommendations for seed starting medium please
I started gardening for fun about 2 years ago. I have...
mannie3moon
how do you pre-moisten your bagged growing mix?
Never really thought about this until now... Am I going...
njitgrad
Pepper Seeds from Commercial Dried Peppers
Has anyone had any success growing peppers from seeds...
goldenz5
starting seeds in cold frame
Hi all, I am in the process of building a cold frame...
vnoelleb
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™