Shrub ideas needed please?

gardenbug(8b)March 22, 2014

I have an area that is 3' wide x 18' long. It gets morning shade and some afternoon sun. I want to plant a narrow evergreen hedge. It doesn't matter if it gets flowers or not. I need this hedge to grow at least 5' tall.

I already have 'pyracantha' planted there but it never flowered. I imagine the area doesn't get quite enough sun. I will be digging it all out next weekend. In the meantime, if anyone has some ideas of what I could possibly plant there, I would be appreciative. Thank you everyone!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Embothrium(USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA)

The firethorn should have bloomed regardless. Were you snipping at it?

You might try 'Graham Blandy' box or 'Sky Pencil' holly, if you want something that vertical. To be 5' tall yet less than 3' wide I will have to be something with a narrow shape, or pruned into one.

Bookmark   March 22, 2014 at 5:13PM
hoovb zone 9 sunset 23

Or boxwood 'Green Tower'. I have some in full sun and some in full shade, and they seem happy either way.

Here is a link that might be useful: green tower boxwood

Bookmark   March 22, 2014 at 5:19PM
gardenbug(8b)

Hi bboy, I think the problem was 'pyrancatha scab' - many of the leaves turned black and fell off, including whatever berries were there. I did cut out as much of the black stuff that I could though. There are still plenty of green leaves, but I have no idea how to get rid of the scab or maybe blight?

I'll look up 'Glaham Blandy' box and Sky Pencil 'holly'
Thanks so much for your help.

hoovb ~ I like the idea of the green tower boxwood. I looked it up to see if it is sold anywhere around here. So far, I can't seem to find it. I'll keep looking though.

Thanks again.

Bookmark   March 22, 2014 at 10:03PM

If you had berries appear after it was there for a year you got flowers. But if it is scabby you don't want it anyway. That and the fact that it is a stiff thing with nasty thorns and smelly flowers.

The basic set of quality shrubs used for hedges and hedge-like effects is yew, holly and box. You can identify and plant cultivars that tend to approximate the desired size and shape or you can use other kinds, sheared to fit the space. Either way at some point you will have to prune to control size.

Bookmark   March 22, 2014 at 11:15PM
floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK

Yes, I was going to say that if there were berries then you definitely had flowers. But keeping a Pyracantha hedge to 3ft was never going to be easy and would require frequent clipping and possible loss of flowers, even it it had remained healthy.

Bookmark   March 23, 2014 at 8:01AM

Dwarf cultivars are on the market, but the one(s) in garden centers here don't seem to be very disease resistant.

Bookmark   March 23, 2014 at 1:46PM
gardenbug(8b)

I'll be removing the pyracanthas next weekend. I think today, I'm going to head off to a few nurseries to see what they have. Thanks for helping and giving me so many good ideas. What about taxus yew? Thanks again.

Bookmark   March 23, 2014 at 3:35PM
Dave in NoVA • 7a • Northern VA

Maybe consider Osmanthus x Burkwoodii.

It will need shearing, but it blooms in Spring and has fine foliage. No spines.

Should be trouble free in your area, but don't hold me to that!

Bookmark   March 28, 2014 at 9:51AM
More Discussions
Will my new witch hazel bloom at this time every year?
Last May I planted a little 3 foot witch hazel from...
olreader
Harry Lauder
Need help growing Harry Lauder shrub, like how,seed?...
clm27
Boxwood rescue! Please help!
I had this 4' 40+ year old boxwood hedge on the edge...
waldenpond
Thuja occidentalis smaragd browning
Hi. I planted these Thuja occidentalis smaragds about...
reyetwinger
Name of this shrub?
I took this cutting from my Aunt's yard and don't remember...
jmagor
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™