Need help with this area

ratdogheads(5b NH)February 16, 2014

I'm at my wits end trying to figure out what to plant here as a replacement for my Cinco de Mayo. Could folks please give me some ideas? CdM is moving because it wants to grow taller than this space allows. See how the windows open outward - I need something that will stay lower than those windows. Also I never liked the color combination. The climber is Purple Splash and it's maddeningly hard to coordinate.

This is a southern wall and purple roses that have occupied this area tend to fry. There is no gutter on the two story roof, so I need to stay mostly behind the drip line (marked by the stone border).

Re-bloom is important, fragrance would be nice! I'm in zone 5, but I'd call this sunny protected area a 6. I do spray for BS when needed.

Thanks in advance for the inspiration!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
seil zone 6b MI

Carpet or drift roses would stay short. Also some minis and polyanthas are smaller bushes. With Purple Splash you could go with something white or cream colored. Softee is a great little mini that blooms like crazy for me.

Bookmark   February 16, 2014 at 5:55PM
nanadollZ7 SWIdaho(Zone 7 Boise SW Idaho)

Your Purple Splash climber is gorgeous and looks so well positioned by the windows. I have purple all over my flower beds, both roses and perennials, and my favorite color with purple is yellow. So I'd recomment and outstanding small yellow called Bernstein-Rose--but it's hard to get, though. I have had three of these roses for about seven years, and they keep under three feet tall. I am also loving my new purple minis, Diamond Eyes from hybridizer Tom Carruth. They should also stay under three feet. They did beautifully in a hot, sunny western exposure last summer, and their purple doesn't fade. Here's a photo of Bernstein-Rose. Diane

Bookmark   February 16, 2014 at 7:03PM
nanadollZ7 SWIdaho(Zone 7 Boise SW Idaho)

Here's Diamond Eyes. Diane

Bookmark   February 16, 2014 at 7:05PM
Dodie85

Butterfly bushes, are nice if you dont have one. Ive seen them in purple and yellow.. Blazing stars are pretty to, though perhaps to tall..

Bookmark   February 16, 2014 at 7:18PM
ratdogheads(5b NH)

I had one of those Eureka! moments this morning as I was looking at photos of this weekend's snow. This is that same area now. Hard to imagine there's color and life hiding under all that white. Anyhow my big revelation was, in looking at the picture with a wider perspective, that the reason I'm having so much trouble coordinating Purple Splash is that Purple Splash is clashing with the whole yard.

In the past couple of years I have filled this side of the yard with soft colors and old fashioned varieties. Alongside that arbor is a Hyde Hall hedge, and I have struggled with what could possibly go on the arbor that could bridge HH's soft pink full blossoms with PS's vibrant striped single blossoms and glossy modern foliage. Problem solved, PS is outta there! Besides, that trellis is no match for such a vigorous climber. PS wants to take over that whole wall, last year it scrambled up to the second story window. I have a two story porch on the other side of the house where it can stretch out in all its flashy glory.

Thanks for the suggestions - it will certainly need some bright companions in its new home.

Bookmark   February 17, 2014 at 10:32AM
kingcobbtx9b

I was going to suggest taking out CDM and letting PS trellis around the window completely.

But if you are moving it nvm.

Bookmark   February 17, 2014 at 12:08PM
Kippy(SoCal zone 10. Sunset Zone 24)

I have a purple splash that I have to plan what to put in the bed with her. That is one happy rose!

Bookmark   February 17, 2014 at 12:30PM
ratdogheads(5b NH)

I really like the idea of framing the whole window, and I think I'll do that with whatever I plant as a replacement. Then I'll tuck some minis along the front.

Bookmark   February 22, 2014 at 9:00AM
More Discussions
Climbing, spreading, purple roses?
Although I don't consider myself a rose aficionado,...
ilovegardening
Have roses, need someone with shovel to take them home...
After the last garden move, I swore it wouldn't happen...
roseseek
I love my Belinda's Dream Roses!
Belinda's Dream is proving to be such a good rose for...
sara_ann-z6bok
Help finding a miniature rose
So far I have decided to try Green Ice from Chamblees....
Patty W. zone 5a Illinois
Do you ever rearrange the rest of your life around roses?
Hi folks I obviously love growing and talking about...
nippstress - zone 5 Nebraska
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™