Fast sprout seeds - children?

nonews(Zone 7 NC)April 3, 2006

My granddaughters will be here for almost 5 days. I would like to start some seeds that will sprout within those 5 days. Do you know of any that will sprout that fast? Thanks, Nancy

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
tastefullyjulie(Lewiston, NY 6)

zinnia, cosmos, nasturtium, marigold

Bookmark   April 3, 2006 at 8:42PM
birdz_n_beez(z5-6 NY)

ditto on the above choices. I had marigold babies within three days for my son to bring in to his kindergarten class and share.

If she is taking it home with her you can also put it in a clear plastic cup and she will be able to see the roots grow. =)

Bookmark   April 3, 2006 at 8:49PM
heather_gardener(7)

I've only grown Zinnias from tastefullyjulie's list. However, they literally came up in _under_ 48 hours this year.

Here is a link that might be useful: My garden blog

Bookmark   April 3, 2006 at 8:59PM
nonews(Zone 7 NC)

Thanks all. I really like the clear plastic cup idea. I also discovered the "Gardening with Kids" forum. Thanks so much. Nancy

Here is a link that might be useful: For the Kids

Bookmark   April 3, 2006 at 10:29PM
baci(z10Ca)

What about edible sprouts? Mung bean, alfalfa, wheat grass & others are available at health food stores, are cheap, & can be oftentimes bought in small quantity. Some of them take 2 weeks to do complete, but you can start the sprouting process. Just experiment a bit before she comes to visit you.

Bookmark   April 4, 2006 at 8:04AM
sedum37(Z5 MA)

Green or Wax Beans are very fast. Also second the Marigolds. Make sure you have fresh seed or properly stored seed.

Have fun!

Bookmark   April 4, 2006 at 11:34AM
girlndocs(8 WA)

Morning Glory "Grandpa Ott", when soaked overnight before planting and kept warm after planting, routinely germinates in 48 hours for me :)

My 7-yo son was fascinated to hear that "once upon a time" there really was a Grandpa Ott, too.

Kristin

Bookmark   April 5, 2006 at 1:32AM
albert_135(Sunset 2 or 3)

Slip some beans and corn down the sides of a clear plastic cup and one can see the roots and the shoots with the bean being forced up out of the soil and the corn staying down in the soil with only the shoots coming up through the surface. A monocotyledon vs dicotyledon thing. Interestingly some children seem to like these big words.

Bookmark   April 5, 2006 at 7:47PM
little_dani(9, S. Tex Coast)

Hyacinth Bean vine! I planted them on Sunday afternoon, on Tuesday, lots of them are up!

Janie

Bookmark   April 6, 2006 at 8:34AM
nonews(Zone 7 NC)

The sunflowers were the winner, but the purple hyacinth bean vine was second. The best part was the plastic cup, with the seeds planted around the edges. We watched the roots go all the way to the bottom of the cup on the sunflowers. Thanks for all your ideas. Nancy

Bookmark   April 9, 2006 at 10:45PM
rogozyk

Hi, I need to find a flower that would grow really fast. I saw that the Zinnias are fast to germinate, but how much time would it take to get an open flower from a seed? Thanks for any advice. Vincent

Bookmark   April 1, 2008 at 8:32PM
dragonplant(7a)

I only did Convolvulus 2 years, but they always popped up in 3 days. Very satisfying flower for kids (with all the colors).

Sorry, I can't remember how long it took them to make flowers. It usually does take awhile to get flowers from seeds (they sit there with the first seed leaves and nothing else for a week at least).

Impatiens bloom when pretty young and small, I guess they are the fastest to flower that I've had.

Bookmark   April 2, 2008 at 8:48AM
jamjam

For the OT: my cinnamon basil came up in two days:) I don't know if this was an anomaly, though, as the packet said to expect seven to fourteen!

Bookmark   April 3, 2008 at 4:40PM
More Discussions
floating seed trays
I used to see styrofoam seed trays that would float...
T S
When to start eggplant seeds
Johnny's says 8-10 weeks like the peppers. I remember...
Peter (6b SE NY)
When to uncover seedlings?
I've successfully started seeds for years by bottom...
oldbuck
Will my morning glory's lose legginess if i put them outside?
I planted morning glory seeds inside on a window about...
tlbean2004
growing peas
I can't seem to get a successful crop of peas.............any...
quiltsrcool
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™