leaf drop on Indian Hawthorn

william7b(7b)March 25, 2008

I've got a number of Indian Hawthorn that were planted before I bought my house. They are all in full sun and have been there ten years. For the last two or three years, they have dropped all or most of their leaves, with what looks to be a form of blackspot. Don't know if that's the cause or if this is typical. In zone 7b in Atlanta, so they get really good sun, which Hawthorns need. I haven't sprayed at all for blackspot, but I suppose I could extend my Banner Maxx after i spray my roses. Any help?

Bill

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
donnabaskets(Zone 8a, Central MS)

Your question rang a bell in my head. I found the following info in an article in the May, 2005 issue of Mississippi Gardener magazine by Stephen Vann.

Your problem sounds like Entomosporium (Leaf Spot of Indian Hawthorn). "The first obvious symptoms usually appear on new growth and on lower branches of a plant. Spots appear first as minute purple dots on the surface of the leaves. The fungus gradually spreads upward within the plant. Under cool humid conditions, spots may rapidly increase in size and number. The spots can "grow" together to form larger areas of dead tissue. Older spots develop a gray center with a raised margin of the individual spots. The centers of the spots contain the spore-producing bodies of the fungus. These structures appear like small black specks about the size of black pepper grains.

Here's what you do:
Collect the fallen leaves and destroy them in late fall or winter. If feasible, remove all spotted leaves already on the plant. Avoid overhead irrigation to minimize leaf wetness. Splashing can spread the spores to other plants nearby. Irrigate with soaker hoses or drip tubes. Avoid summer fertilization that may promote abundant lush growth in the fall. Make sure the plants have adequate spacing to encourage air movement. (At least four feet from center to center.) Several fungicides are available. They must be sprayed regularly and from early season on. Both sides of the leaves must be covered. Look for the following ingredients:
myclobutanil, propiconazole, or triforine.

This disease is also found on flowering quince, pyracantha, some pears, and red tip photinia.

If it comes to it, there are resistant varieties available: "indian princess", "Gulf Green", and "olivia".

Bookmark   March 25, 2008 at 10:25PM
More Discussions
Protecting Rabbiteye Blueberry bushes from freeze
I'm in Raleigh NC and we're forecasted to get below...
northraleighguy
ID please
What a remarkable shrub. The owner told me that deer...
sam_md
How to grow Wax leaf ligustrum taller
Hi, I think, I have these shrubs around iron and wooden...
ritholtz47
What temperature is needed to make my Forsythias bloom?
My Forsythias are still naked, but they are covered...
ilovemytrees
what's this on my Viburnum?
I have two otherwise healthy Viburnum 'Autumn Jazz'...
skidoo22
Sponsored Products
Global Direct Chandeliers Lyon 6-Light Silver Leaf Chandelier 21146
Home Depot
Rockford Tea Leaf Neutral Paint Shaker Kitchen Cabinet Sample
CliqStudios Cabinets
ELK Lighting Crestview 11333/6 Chandelier - Spanish Bronze - 26W in. - 11333/6
$658.00 | Hayneedle
Emerald Home Brighton Rectangular Dining Table with 18 in. Leaf - Linen & Cashew
$437.99 | Hayneedle
Small Scalloped-Shade Pendant Light
$455.00 | Horchow
Leaf Bronze Two-Light Bath Fixture with Bubble Glass
$176.00 | Bellacor
Hamilton Jet Black Three-Light Jet Black Rock Crystal Wall Sconce, 14.5W x 23H x
Bellacor
Worlds Away - Plankton Wood and Silver Leaf Console Table -...
Great Furniture Deal
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™