Blue Ribbon, Does it exist?

NOACCEPTANCE772(8a)February 24, 2014

Hello you all!(^^)/
So, lately I did buy a "Blue Ribbon" Hybrid tea rose, but I am not sure it will turn out the way it is cause I bought it for �3 only.
Usually, all the bare roots are �13.75 or more so I am kind of suspicious :(
Can anybody post their own photo of this plant?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Kippy(SoCal zone 10. Sunset Zone 24)

The poorer grades of body bag roses can be pretty cheap. And depending where you are located, it might already be late in the season to plant and stores are closing out any stock while they still can. For an non-patient rose, lower grade, end of the season plant, $3 might be right.

Hopefully it is happy and grows well in your garden!

Bookmark   February 24, 2014 at 9:43PM
seil zone 6b MI

If you want to see photos of what it should look like check out this link.

Here is a link that might be useful: Blue Ribbon on HMF

Bookmark   February 24, 2014 at 11:07PM
NOACCEPTANCE772(8a)

Actually, I did buy the rose just as it hit the selves just as Gardening season begun.
I just want to know about anybody's actual experience with this rose and if it exists or not.
I am afraid that this rose wont turn out to be Blue Ribbon. :/
Or the advertised rose, for that matter.

Bookmark   February 24, 2014 at 11:53PM
roseseek

Whether or not it still exists in commerce, I can't say, but yes it did exist. UC Davis sells virus indexed cuttings of it and I grew it budded from Armstrong back in the mid 1980s. I remember my excitement when the box containing it, and Azure Sea arrived. I was shocked they were both stuffed in the box with no plastic bag, nothing damp, just dumped in the box, sealed and shipped.

It was highly scented and could provide quite fleeting, but very beautiful lavender blooms. In those years, all the thing had to have was 'blue' in the name and it followed me home. It suffered the same ills as the rest of the Armstrong mauves...fragile foliage and petals in the hot, arid conditions in that garden and a strong proclivity to black spot when the humidity was sufficient. Kim

Bookmark   February 25, 2014 at 3:06AM
bethnorcal9

Heirloom carries it own-root, but it's out of stock right now. I think I saw it available for a couple days when they put up the new list several weeks ago. They went fast. I got one from them last yr, or maybe it was the fall of 2012, can't remember. But it's still a small twiggy thing. Hasn't bloomed yet. I'm hoping this spring it will take off and bloom.

Bookmark   February 25, 2014 at 11:42AM
seil zone 6b MI

The rose does indeed exist. You will only know whether or not your rose is the correct rose when it blooms. Was it a bagged rose from a big box store or a potted one from a nursery? The bagged roses have a high rate of being mislabeled. The nurseries are better but even they occasionally get a mislabeled one from their suppliers.

Bookmark   February 25, 2014 at 3:54PM
NOACCEPTANCE772(8a)

Hey all. thanks for the replies ^^
It was a bagged rose from a box store.
I did buy national trust too but the only rose I am currently worried about is this one.
Does anybody have their own photos? I cannot find good photos of the whole bush.

Bookmark   February 25, 2014 at 10:46PM
More Discussions
pernnial blue and purple skyliner
OK, since you all were so helpful with your comments...
bart_2010
Strawberry Hill
Hi everybody :) I'm thinking of buying Strawberry Hill....
rosecanadian
Another Houzz change-sending messages without following
Meredith posted this on the Antique Roses forum: In...
jasminerose4u, California
Help finding a miniature rose
So far I have decided to try Green Ice from Chamblees....
Patty W. zone 5a Illinois
DA Coupon codes
Hi, I have the following coupon code and was wondering...
annofpa zone 6b
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™