Do you use chemical ferts in comabination with other ferts?

kingcobbtx9bFebruary 10, 2014

Just curious. I use the Houston Rose Society concentrate fertilizer that is like 29-#-# on NPK. Heavy on the nitrogen, it works good, make sure to water before, don't apply foliarly, etc. My question though is I have read some things on fish emulsion, alfalfa, bloodmeal, bonemeal, etc and my question is do people use these in combination or is it overkill/wasted money to do so?

Tried searching, but the only thing I find when I search on FE or such takes me to the organic rose forum. No offense to those fine people, but that isn't me.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
seil zone 6b MI

I start out with a dry slow release fertilizer worked into the ground in the early spring but after that I use a mix of things all the time. Lately it's been Miracle Grow (because it's getting to be the only one I can find around here, not that I particularly like it) and fish emulsion. But those are both foliar feeders. We just got a Tractor Supply here and they have alfalfa pellets so I may try some of that this spring. I stopped using blood and/or bone meal of late and haven't noticed any difference.

Bookmark   February 10, 2014 at 7:18PM
alameda/zone 8

I read something once on the subject of fertilizers - its said "roses are hogs, feed 'em". I have a list of all these rose fertilizer recipes that I have never tried. I was at Southwest Fertilizer yesterday in Houston - where, if you are a member of the Houston Rose Society, you get 15% off rose products Feb. 9-17. I loaded up on Mills Magic Rose Mix and got some fertilizers to try - Monty's Joy Juice, Jacks, Carl Pool BR-61, Miracle Gro Bloom Booster, some seaweed, kelp fertilizers......I plan to use them at a lesser strength and more often - like Kim [roseseek] says - "weekly, weakly". I love reading about what others fertilize with - but I don't have a particular program. So I am going to just try some different things, lightly, and see what happens. After I prune in the spring, I put on the Mills Magic Rose Mix, Epsom salts and some alfalfa pellets.
Judith

Bookmark   February 10, 2014 at 9:49PM
msjam2

I have only used alfalfa tea (poured at the base of the rose) and rose tone with awesome result. Last year, I tried a new fertilizer called rabbit hill farm - similar ingredients to rose tone only cheaper. Good results too, I will continue with it.

Bookmark   February 10, 2014 at 10:42PM
roseseek

Yes. I combine 15# Grow More All Purpose Organic 5-5-5 with 20# GroPower Plus 5-3-1. I mix the two and broadcast them around the garden monthly, then hose them off the foliage. I've done it for more than twelve years with totally satisfactory results. Kim

Bookmark   February 11, 2014 at 1:27AM
bluegirl_gw

Yeah, though I'm organic re. not using pesticides or fungicides, I do use some chemical fertilizer. Whatever is around--usually a handful of balanced stuff in the spring, occasionally some Miracle Grow & Osmocote--particularly on young plants.

This with an ongoing process of building good soil around the roses--adding manure, leaves, charcoal, compost, etc. I usually give a good cup of alfalfa pellets per plant sometime early in the spring & I'll get a load of manure & spread it, too. Leaves in the fall & charcoal whenever I've finished burning a brush pile.

Bookmark   February 11, 2014 at 8:26AM
bluegirl_gw

If you're gardening on the coastal prairie around Houston, you have very good deep soil. I gardened on that sticky black gumbo for many years. There, organics were especially valuable to improve soil tilth & reduce alkalinity (gypsum & pine bark are your best friends).

Here on the dryland, I value them for actual soil creation. Chemical fertilizer helps plants support good bloom & growth, but they have to be used very conservatively. I've killed a couple of mature rose bushes by giving them a handful of ironite when it was too dang hot & I must not have watered adequately. It will take years, but already the rose/flower bed & the fruit trees' rings are several inches deeper in fluffy soil thanks to adding lots of organic stuff.

I usually pick up whatever the nurseries have on sale at the end of fall & use that in the spring. It's a mix of organics & chemical, so that's what my plants get.

Bookmark   February 11, 2014 at 8:49AM
dublinbay z6 (KS)

Alfalfa would be about the only thing I would add--oh yes, sometimes some manure also.

Since I started using Rose Tone (or Plant Tone) in the spring and it already contains some alfalfa, I don't bother to add alfalfa anymore, but if I switched over completely to the convenience of continuous-feed Osmocote (3 or 4 months, depending on the type you buy), I might go back to the practice of adding a handful of alfalfa to each rose.

Whether or not manure gets added depends entirely on whim--and how overworked I do or do not feel--and how dang hot it is outside. I wish I were more regular, however, in adding manure.

Kate

Bookmark   February 11, 2014 at 9:57AM
Maude80

I use miracle gro and that gross fish emulsion fertilizer (more frequently than the miracle gro)....

Bookmark   February 11, 2014 at 10:28AM
More Discussions
Help me choose a climbing rose please?
Here is my order..lol - I need a rose that is light...
gardenbug
Planting Rose in Square Container
Hi, I am wondering if I would have any problems planting...
sultry_jasmine_nights (Florida 9a)
DA Coupon codes
Hi, I have the following coupon code and was wondering...
annofpa zone 6b
Pruning vigorous HTS in soCal
Hi, Usually a 'lurker' on the forum. I am a gardener...
raingreen
Francis Meilland, suggestions on pruning and care?
I currently have him in a 15 gallon, he's at least...
msdorkgirl
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™