How long from germination to true leaves

lissawickApril 24, 2008

Hi all...you have been a great help already and my little seedlings (and my budget)thank you for saving my seeds! My question is "about" how long from germination to true leaves. I can imagine it varies, but I've had cotyledons (I'm proud to have learned something new from you all!) for 7-10 days now but no true leaves on any of my plants. I have seedlings that appear very healthy...zinnias, marigolds, gazanias, tomoato varieties, watermelon...but not one of them appears to be sprouting anything up the middle that look like actual leaves. Am I being impatient or have we stalled.

I'll sit back and "listen". Thanks!

Lori

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
greenhaven(SW MI z6)

I am not very experienced, but I did just start some Brandywine tomatoes this year. It took a couple of weeks to get true leaves, even under the lights.

I also germinated some Texas Bluebonnets, and they sprouted in about two days! But it took almost THREE weeks for their true leaves to start showing up.

Hope that helps some!

Bookmark   April 24, 2008 at 10:21PM
trancegemini_wa(10b)

it depends on the plant and can also depend on the temperature how quickly the seedlings will develop, so yes just give them some more time to develop their true leaves

Bookmark   April 25, 2008 at 8:00AM
lissawick

Okay then it sounds like I have a couple of weeks to go. I'm just impatient now! thanks

Lori

Bookmark   April 25, 2008 at 8:15AM
albert_135(Sunset 2 or 3)

Some can be aggravatingly slow e.g. the "morning glory" that blooms in the evening has, in my experience, been hair pullingly slow to produce leaves.

Bookmark   April 25, 2008 at 1:46PM
More Discussions
Growing without heat mats
So I have only been growing from seed for a few years...
planterjeff
When seeds go bad
I've been starting plants indoors over winter for several...
idloveamocha
Paper Seed Starting Boxes (Tapesless - of course! It's origami :)
I'm having so much fun making these boxes for seed...
phylis
mail order seeds
I purchased from Gurney Seed and Territorial Seed Co...
leanne47
looking for nifty ideas for cross ventilation
I need a very basic solution to providing some cross...
njitgrad
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™