what does "ready to harvest in X days" really mean?

MissMoss(5)April 28, 2013

I have been growing my vegetables from seeds for several years and I am always curious about this but never asked. So here is my question finally: when on the seed packet is states "ready to harvest in 25 days" (this is from my radish packet) what does it mean? What is the starting point for those 25 days? Germination? Getting their first pair of true leaves? Please help me solve the mystery :)

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
art33(6)

I think it means from the time you sow the seeds. In the case of your radishes for example, about 4 or 5 days for the seeds to sprout and another 20 days till harvest time.

Art

Bookmark   April 28, 2013 at 11:52PM
digdirt2(6b-7a No.Cent. AR HZ8 Sun-35)

Yes, for items that are normally directed seeded (as are radishes, corn, lettuce, squash,etc.) it is # of days from planting the seeds. For those items that are normally grown from transplant (tomato, pepper, etc.) it is the # of day from transplanting.

However it is important to remember that DTM (days to maturity) are just a general guide, an "average", as many variables can affect it.

Dave

Bookmark   April 29, 2013 at 5:55PM
MissMoss(5)

Dave, that makes sense. Just out of idle curiosity I will try to "time" my cuces, tomatoes and few others this season. I think my radishes are behind the schedule :) But we've had a cool spring so far so that might be their excuse.

Bookmark   May 3, 2013 at 7:47AM
More Discussions
Growing Chesnuts from nut
This time last year I bought about four chestnuts from...
mccommas
Growing without heat mats
So I have only been growing from seed for a few years...
planterjeff
When seeds go bad
I've been starting plants indoors over winter for several...
idloveamocha
Dusty Miller Silver Lace seeds wanted
I am looking for Dusty Miller Silver Lace seeds. The...
cath923
Blue Globe Thistle Seed Germination
Help! I so want to grow Blue Globe Thistle. I have...
xiangirl zone 4/5 Nebraska
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™