biochar

wirosarian_z4b_WIFebruary 25, 2012

I have a large dairy farm in my area that is processing its waste into compost & biochar. I plan on picking up some biochar to try on a few roses. Has anyone tried biochar, how did you apply, how much, what results did you see, etc?

TIA, Larry

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
nastarana(5a)

Do let us know how it works for you.

Bookmark   February 25, 2012 at 8:21PM
karl_bapst_rosenut(5a, NW Indiana)

A dairy operation near me, Fair Oaks, uses their waste in a bio generator to make gas to burn the moisture out of it. The process leaves a dry product. I've been unable to get any of it though. I'd be careful as cow manure has a lot of salts and can burn if too much is used.
Were I to gert any, I think I'd mix it with alfalfa and cotton seed meal.

Bookmark   February 25, 2012 at 11:10PM
Campanula UK Z8

Lucky You - certainly make use of it - Biochar has been a crucial ingredient in some of the most fertile soils on Earth. I will dig out some stuff and get back to you. Green with envy here!

Bookmark   February 26, 2012 at 8:17AM
wirosarian_z4b_WI

Good question to check on Karl, also I want to check on pH effects of biochar as I've seen some info that it raises pH like wood ash. I've attached a link to the farm that produces the biochar, since they are market their compost & biochar to landscape & garden people, I hoping they have some good answers to these questions.

Here is a link that might be useful: biochar info

Bookmark   February 26, 2012 at 12:01PM
ladyrose65

I just bought some biochar from BuyActivatedCharcoal house. It did not come with any instructions. I would like to try it on my newbies. I would like feedback on this product too.

Bookmark   March 7, 2012 at 7:29PM
wirosarian_z4b_WI

The bio-char source that I linked aboved recommended mixing a 1/2" layer of bio-char in the top 6" of soil as the best way & amount to use. He said it needs to be worked into the soil because its very dusty & could be easily blown away by any wind. Below is one of the best articles that I've been able to find so far.

Here is a link that might be useful: bio-char link

Bookmark   March 7, 2012 at 9:40PM
More Discussions
Blooming right now.
On the first day of Spring yesterday I went around...
caflowerluver
Why did all the leaves on my rose just fall off?
I was able to propagate a rose from my daughters wedding...
soranch
Does this Alfalfa Tea look right?
The first picture is the tea trying to bubble up through...
missymoo23_(z9a_Tx)
Done with Michigan Bulb forever.
I feel like an idiot. The "Dark Dragon"...
Holly Kline
osmocote potting soil
I saw piles of this potting soil at my local National...
view1ny NY 6-7
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™