Tea Olives (bare Looking)

pdtiger2007March 24, 2014

I'm helping a neighbor whose got some Tea Olives planted all around her house. Problem where having is all the growth seems to be towards the top of the tree, leaving the bottom so barren you can see through the plant. Where wanting to get a much more full shrub. So if we have to lose a couple of seasons of growth, and might even have to deal with it looking horrible for a few months, that's ok. As long as we get the desired full shrub.

I'm thinking where gonna need to to cut it back to the older established branches, about half way to a third down from the top. We cut them back last year, but the bottom never filled back in. There is some growth in the bottom but it's so shaded it's barely growing and not filling in. Here is a picture included, and I appreciate any help, suggestions, or knowledge given in advance! Thanks a million!!!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5

google: rejuvenation pruning of flowering shrubs ....

review some links..

and shoot us some specific questions ...

many of these type shrubs.. can nearly be cut to the ground.. and with no insult to the root mass... will be half as tall by fall ...

but i have NO experience with this plant ...

BTW... convert the common name to the latin for specificity sake.. and add that to the google search above.. and maybe even add YOUTUBE .... and you will get much further... common names.. lead to common answers.. we prefer more specificity ...

its not a big deal ... go for it ..

good luck

ken

ps: most flowering shrubs are pruned.. after flowering .. but if you dont care about such.. it can be done most anytime ...

pps: a good pruning saw will make a boatload of difference.. get something like at the link ... and even better if you have a reciprocating saw ... but buy a tree blade for it [8 bucks or so] ...

Here is a link that might be useful: i got one at tractor supply for under 15 bucks ... but couldnt find one on their website.

Bookmark   March 25, 2014 at 7:56AM
More Discussions
Hamamelis vernalis 'Amethyst'
Potted plant I didn't get to plant this past fall....
whaas_5a
My new-old shrub woes
I moved into this house a year ago and am now starting...
nonconformist_nymphette
Harry Lauder
Need help growing Harry Lauder shrub, like how,seed?...
clm27
Blackthorn Bushes
Hello Y'all, I have ordered 4 Blackthorn Bushes (Prunus...
Caviler
Name of this shrub?
I took this cutting from my Aunt's yard and don't remember...
jmagor
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™