Looking for Old Fashion Deep Purple lilac

joetoeMarch 21, 2014

My wife want a old fashion deep purple lilac bush and I have no ideal where one can find or order one. If you know were one can get one I would be very thankful.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
laceyvail(6A, WV)

The huge suckering Syringa vulgaris that you're looking for is called Andenken an Ludwig Spaeth-- or just Ludwig Spaeth.

If you see one around that you like, ask the owners if you can dig a sucker.

Bookmark   March 22, 2014 at 7:00AM
bboy(USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA)

As long as it's not grafted - otherwise the sucker might not be the named variety with the dark flowers.

Bookmark   March 22, 2014 at 1:18PM
ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5

old fashioned would imply.. its been around a hundred years or so ... and i doubt they would be grafted ...

i have at least a dozen lilacs .. ALL WERE GOTTEN BY KNOCKING ON A DOOR AND ASKING IF I COULD DIG A SUCKER WHILE IN BLOOM...

that is really the only time you can get EXACTLY what you want ...

and no one has ever turned me down ...

i then dig a 6 to 12 inch sucker ... with some little bit of root ... stick it in a one gallon pot with some old wet media .. just a few inches.. and the pot holds up the top part ...... and leave it on the north side of the house [bright but no sun] ... to grow roots.. until i can plant it in fall ...

or in the case of the one in front of my house right now.. its been sitting there in about 3 inches of media for ... well.. it will be 3 years this spring at bloom time... lol .... i have moved it once in a while to insure it didnt root out the bottom ...

i swear to God.. i will plant it when the ground thaws.. now that i have mocked myself piteously ... lol..

BTW... i rarely if ever remembered to water it ... you can barely kill these things ... as long as it has some root on it ...

ken

Bookmark   March 22, 2014 at 7:18PM
Steve Massachusetts Zone 5b

Ken,

In addition to Ludwick Spaeth. I would recommend S. vulgaris "Sarah Sands" or a more recent hybrid S. vulgaris Yankee Doodle. One that is dark purple with double flowers is S. vulgaris Charles Joly.

You might try Fox Hill Lilac Nursery in Maine for a good selection. I use Syringa Plus in West Newbury, MA. But that's because they're close. Both nurseries do mail order in this here Internet.

Steve

Here is a link that might be useful: Fox Hill Lilac Nursery

Bookmark   March 22, 2014 at 7:39PM
bboy(USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA)

'Andenken an Ludwig Spath' dates from 1883. So that makes it 131 years old.

"Perhaps the most popular lilac, one of the most consistent and reliable"

-- The Hillier Manual of Trees & Shrubs (2002, Hillier Nurseries)

Syringa vulgaris cultivars have been much grafted in the past. Specimens consisting of a named scion surrounded by suckers coming from a less impressively flowered root-stock is not rare in plantings of some age.

Bookmark   March 22, 2014 at 11:23PM
More Discussions
Hello, I need help with my hazelnuts
About 8 years ago I purchased 20 Twigs with roots....
audreyandmerle
Does anyone know what kind of shrub this is?
Landscaper planted it calling it silver green, but...
pebbles81
What variety of evergreen is this? Pic included
Moved into my house 2.5 years ago. I'd like to possibly...
stlmom77
Need a fast growing shade tolerant hedge....Help please?
Does anyone have any ideas for a shade tolerant zone...
pebbles81
Grafting rose of sharon
I know that most people consider rose of sharon a pest...
Derby42 zone 6
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™