Shade, Zone 5, Indianapolis

It's seems to be on a vine-like guy.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
sweet_betsy No AL Z7

Pokeweed

Bookmark   August 14, 2014 at 8:07PM
missingtheobvious(Blue Ridge 7a)

The plant with the large leaves and cluster of white flowers/green berries is Pokeweed, Phytolacca americana. It's an upright perennial which can grow to 6-8' at least. Mostly poisonous, but regularly eaten by many folks with proper preparation (this is not a recommendation).

Can't kill it without removing/killing all the root. Birds love the berries -- and will poop the seeds under trees, fences, etc. -- and the 8-10 seeds per berry will all sprout.

The vine in the lower part of the photo (with the heart-shaped leaves) is a Morning glory. Some of them are almost impossible to get rid of, too. The ones with heart-shaped leaves include Convolvulaceae ipomoea purpurea and Convolvulaceae ipomoea tricolor.

This post was edited by missingtheobvious on Thu, Aug 14, 14 at 23:43

Bookmark   August 14, 2014 at 11:41PM
katisu(5 Indy)

My god, missingtheobvious, I just need to call you over to my house! You're awesome.

Thank you both! So I should probably get rid of the pokeweed. Morning Glories are ok, though.

Bookmark   August 15, 2014 at 12:12AM
missingtheobvious(Blue Ridge 7a)

Not awesome at all, katisu. Woefully -- sometimes embarrassingly -- ignorant compared to the real experts. I just know a few things, and sometimes they're what folks ask ... like Pokeweed.

Oh, the epic Pokeweed threads we had last year.... I think as a group we're still burned-out on that topic. (Poisonous! Cooked leafy vegetable! Purple ink! Roundup concentrate in a mustard squeeze-bottle! Grow it for the birds! Pretty! Invasive! Protect your children! Etc.)

Bookmark   August 15, 2014 at 12:58AM
More Discussions
Can Anyone ID this Disease on My Iris
Need help identifying the problem with these iris.
btalarczyk
Late-blooming aster in a Colorado canyon
I shot this in late September in Cache la Poudre Canyon,...
Joe_Pye
Please ID this plant
I think it came in an indoor pot of plants. It is...
elaineal
Silk flower NOID #3
Need help to identify what flower this is an imitation...
donrawson
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™