When does Miss Kim (dwarf) Lilac Bush Bud

nanaclaire(5b)March 21, 2012

I see no buds. I have buds on my azalea and my other lilac bush ... and leaves on my butterfly bush. My Miss Kim Lilac has looked dead since last Fall but someone told me it was still alive. Still wondering since I see no life to it yet.

I know it is early. March ...but we have had a very mild winter and thought maybe I'd see buds. ??

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
j0nd03

Mine broke bud about 2 weeks ago but, although the flowers have emerged from the buds, they are still a little ways away from flowering.

I can find the date on my spreadsheet at work tomorrow if you really want it. I would think you would at least be at bud swell with this warm weather.

John

Bookmark   March 21, 2012 at 10:26PM
nanaclaire(5b)

John, that's my thinking too. Well last Fall it looked dead to me but someone said not to worry, so I tried. LOL It just has branches. Maybe I should scrape toward the bottom and see if there is green there. If not, I'm pulling it and putting my miniature roses in its place.

My other purple lilac bush I bought last year (a baby) already has green leaves.

Bookmark   March 22, 2012 at 8:00AM
j0nd03

Definitely worth a scratch test!

And looking at my records, Ms. Kim actually broke bud Feb 28th making it one of the earliest to wake up for me this spring.

John

Bookmark   March 22, 2012 at 9:17AM
nanaclaire(5b)

You are in Zone 7b ... I'm in 5b. I did cut off a branch and there IS green inside so maybe it isn't dead. Usually we don't get this kind of weather, though, until May or June. It was such a wierd winter, very mild, sometimes freezing, back and forth, and little snow.

I WANT to plant some miniature roses in that area and wondering if they would smother the Miss. Kim if I left it there. Don't plan on digging it up and transplanting somewhere else... if it dies, I'll just have min. roses there.

Bookmark   March 22, 2012 at 12:11PM
j0nd03

The way things are popping even up in zone 6 (which is what was beside your username previously) I figured your Ms. Kim would be further along.

I say it's your garden, do what ever you want! I did end up transplanting my Ms. Kim twice last year and it still made plenty of flowers for such a small bush. It was particularly easy to transplant as well but it came in a 2 gallon (I think) pot early last spring.

John

Bookmark   March 22, 2012 at 12:24PM
nanaclaire(5b)

Yeah, I moved so when I looked up my zone, it changed. I'm going to just see how it does and if I don't see any leaves, I'll dig it out and put something else there. Thanks for your input.

Bookmark   March 22, 2012 at 6:39PM
blue23rose(6b IN)

My Miss Kim is budding out now and has lots of leaves. I am in southern Indiana and under the new hardiness zone map, I am in 6b now. I tried to change my profile, but for some reason it won't save it.

Vickie

Bookmark   March 23, 2012 at 6:15PM
More Discussions
County Extension/Horticulture agents
Folks, many of us here make frequent recommendations...
wisconsitom
Protecting Rabbiteye Blueberry bushes from freeze
I'm in Raleigh NC and we're forecasted to get below...
northraleighguy
Loropetalum issue
Hi- I'm posting again about another shrub at our new...
hafamily5
Screen behind basketball goal
Hello. We just moved into a new house. I'd like to...
bcurrey
Need thorny suggestions
I'm looking for thorny/annoying plants to put under...
Mary Townsend
Sponsored Products
Brilliance Outdoor Canvas Art
Grandin Road
Poli Po 6 Light Chandelier by De Majo
$1,346.40 | Lumens
Swetheart Iron Heart-shaped Bud Vase
Overstock.com
Morning Song I Canvas Print
Grandin Road
Garden Bud Throw Pillow
| Dot & Bo