Manitoba Paper flower shrub?

RaHerbAugust 13, 2014

Hi all, please view these two pictures I've uploaded of this unusual shrub/tree. The plants are common in the Whiteshell provincial park area, and these ones I photographed on the Viburnum Falls trail near Betula Lake, MB. The flowers start as these green clusters, and stay on the tree.shrub until they dry and turn into what can only be described as paper flowers, gray in colour. Using a dichromatic key provided in the Manitoba field guide only led me to Hop Hornbeam, or some type of Willow, which I don't think it is either. Also, there does not seem to be any main trunk, just many 1-3mm thick branches with the lancelot shaped leaves having soft, lambs quarter like hairs underneath. Any help?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
RaHerb

Heres another view...If you zoom in to the center of the picture, you'll see the early, undried green "flowers" They smell like cut grass, are encompassed tightly at the ends of the branch.

Bookmark   August 13, 2014 at 8:13PM
missingtheobvious(Blue Ridge 7a)

many 1-3mm thick branches

1-3 cm. maybe?

Bookmark   August 13, 2014 at 9:10PM
weedwoman(z6 NJ)

You might want to take another look at the willows. Can't really see the details but some kind of shrubby willow (Salix sp) would be my suggestion.

And I don't think those are flowers, they look like galls. Pretty common on willows.

WW

Here is a link that might be useful: willow galls

Bookmark   August 16, 2014 at 7:42PM
RaHerb

They Were Galls!
Thanks for the help!

Bookmark   August 19, 2014 at 7:47PM
More Discussions
unusual
Follow Dave's Garden Plant Identification: unsual Communities...
four
need help with dahlia ID
Does anyone know the full ID for this dahlia? Just...
toad_ca
Rosemary exact species name please (Qatar)
Hi Guys Can you please name the exact species of this...
maufie123
Late-blooming aster in a Colorado canyon
I shot this in late September in Cache la Poudre Canyon,...
Joe_Pye
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™