Wine & Roses *or* Shining Sensation Weigela

GrapeSocks(5b (NE IL))March 28, 2012

I'm looking for a purple-leafed shrub as a foundation planting. The darker the purple, the better.

The intended site is a southern exposure in full sun, rocky clay soil (well-drained) next to the house. The area can accommodate a shrub that stays about 5' wide, or must withstand the pruning shears.

I'm considering either a 'Wine & Roses' weigela or a 'Shining Sensation' weigela. Or is there another shrub to consider? What would you pick, and why?

One other consideration: Nan Ondra did a nice post on her blog about coppicing Cotinus coggygria that got me interested. The purple foliage sure looked gorgeous in a small shrub form. Can anyone out there share their experience doing this? I realize coppicing would forego the 'smoke' but I'm really only interested in the purple foliage.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
WendyB(5A/MA)

I have both and I pick Shining Sensation based on the fact that my W&R has always had a "failure to thrive" problem. I've changed locations (which of course sets it back some) and altered culture, but it has remained a wimpy plant.

My SS has filled in its spot admirably since planted in my sunny front foundation. I've only had it a couple of years. I used to have a Ninebark 'Summer Wine' there but it had a lot of fungus disease problems. The Ninebark replaced a Purple Sandcherry that was okay, but suffered from a leggy bottom that I could never get to fill in no matter how much pruning I did.

As far as purple-ness, I honestly can't remember. I will look for a picture.

Bookmark   March 29, 2012 at 12:14PM
whaas_5a(5A SE WI)

Shining Sensation seems to have better color...I'd vote for this one as well.

If I'm not mistaken Fine Wine is an improved version of Wine and Roses.

Bookmark   March 29, 2012 at 9:42PM
GrapeSocks(5b (NE IL))

Thanks Wendyb and Whaas. 'Shining Sensation' it will be. Lucky for me, I already spotted some at one of my favorite nurseries. Will check out the 'Fine Wine' for kicks, too.

Bookmark   March 30, 2012 at 11:47PM
More Discussions
County Extension/Horticulture agents
Folks, many of us here make frequent recommendations...
wisconsitom
Bent Arborvitae Branches
The branches on my 2-year old emerald green arborvitae's...
karen10125b
Plumbago and Duranta Sapphire Showers close to house
Would it be fine to plant Plumbago and Duranta Sapphire...
delidiva
Best thorny shrub to plant in front of window?
I am looking to plant a thorny shrub in front of my...
Ryan Kelley
Mixing Lilacs
I have a large section of yard that is filled with...
MsKitty31
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™