Loropetalum lost all its leaves

sleonardMarch 28, 2010

First of all, I have to say I am a novice to gardening and pretty much don't know anything. I had some loropetalum planted a few years ago in our flower beds and they were fine. But last year I noticed one of them was losing its leaves. I wasn't sure what was wrong but I didn't do anything about it. Anyway, now I can see 3 of the 5 loropetalums are losing their leaves too. Not sure what's wrong. I have some Indian Hawthorne in the same bed and they are all fine. The Indian Hawthorne are in the front row of the bed and the loropetalum are in the back row. Are the loropetalum with no leaves dead?

If anyone has any insight on what could be the problem that would be great. Thanks.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Embothrium(USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA)

Timing might point to cold injury. Otherwise, shrubs often defoliate when there is a problem with the roots: too wet, too dry, pathogenic or pest infestation...

As the roots go, so goes the top.

Bookmark   March 29, 2010 at 12:18AM
jay_7bsc(8a)

Do a scratch test on your loropetalums. Use your fingernail, a knife, or a pair of hand pruners to scratch the outer layer of bark to expose the cambium layer. If the cambium is green and the twig supple, the plant is probably fine and will recover as spring progresses.

Bookmark   March 29, 2010 at 10:53AM
earthy1

Lorop. took a hit this winter. I agree with the scratch test. Also they don't like wet feet and this will make them drop leaves and die. Ask me how I know.

Bookmark   April 2, 2010 at 6:57AM
Pam_loves_2_garden(8b)

Mine did the same and its because I was overwatering them since the heat in southeast Georgia is brutal. Its still surviving I have about 10 more purplish leaves then I had last year:-)You may want to buy some root stimulator such as Superthrive, Lilly miller vitamin b1 plant starter or Miracle Gro makes some as well. Good luck as I am having some for mine:-)

Bookmark   June 12, 2011 at 11:27PM
Embothrium(USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA)

The Bottom Line
⢠Vitamin B-1, aka thiamine, does not reduce transplant shock or stimulate new root growth on
plants outside the laboratory
⢠A nitrogen fertilizer is adequate for transplanting landscape plants; avoid use of âÂÂtransplant
fertilizersâ that contain phosphate
⢠Healthy plants will synthesize their own thiamine supply
⢠Healthy soils contain beneficial microbes that synthesize thiamine as well
⢠Difficult-to-transplant species may be aided by application of auxin-containing products in
addition to nitrogen, but read the label and donâÂÂt add unnecessary and potentially harmful
chemicals (this includes organics!)
⢠Adequate soil moisture is crucial for new root growth; be sure to irrigate new transplants
frequently and use mulch to reduce evaporation

Here is a link that might be useful: The Myth of Vitamin Stimulants

Bookmark   June 13, 2011 at 12:36PM
More Discussions
What variety of evergreen shrubs are these?
The photo files aren't rotated on my computer so I...
stlmom77
Lilac budding bright green in zero temps!
We have had cold temps and tons of snow this winter...
wcgarden
My new-old shrub woes
I moved into this house a year ago and am now starting...
nonconformist_nymphette
Grafting rose of sharon
I know that most people consider rose of sharon a pest...
Derby42 zone 6
Azalea bonsai show - images
Pictures taken on February 18, 2015, Huzhou city, Hunan...
jujujojo_gw
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™