please help....I got my first fungus gnat and I don't why

njitgradApril 9, 2014

I don't get it....

I've been watering my seedling flats (veggies, annuals & perennials) about every 5 days or so, each flat on an as-needed basis. Basically I wait until the soil is pretty much dry all the way through in each plant in each flat before watering them (from underneath) for about an hour.

Yet today, after being away for 5 days I was surprised to see a single fungus gnat emerging from the growing mix as I was spacing out my nicely growing seedlings and culling some in the process.

1) Is it because my basement has no ventilation?

2) What is a quick way to get this under control ASAP...I have a party to host this weekend and there is no way these buggers are ruining my party. Last year when I grew my seedlings in my garage they congregated to the center of my kitchen ceiling for some reason. But that didn't happen until early May.

3) Is there a preventative measure I could have taken other than keeping the watering of my seedlings to a minimum (which I did)?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
digdirt2(6b-7a No.Cent. AR HZ8 Sun-35)

See the other current discussion here. Id that doesn't answer all your questions the search will pull up many more discussions about them.

Dave

Here is a link that might be useful: Fungus gnats

Bookmark   April 10, 2014 at 2:00PM
More Discussions
Petunia seedlings' leaves curling
My petunia seedlings are tiny and have curled up leaves,...
Jennifer
Question on Growing Herbs from Seed
How's everybody doin'? Switichin' to shorts down here. I...
csrain
desert rose seedling care
I have planted some desert rose seeds 2 weeks ago,...
calipso108
Need Advice........
I sowed flats of New Guinea Imps & Begonias 3 weeks...
gltrap54
Time for some early seed starting!
Got my seeds today. In about a week or so I will start...
Peter1142
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™