Getting thick rose stems

dragunovFebruary 9, 2014

So I recently bought a bagged rose without looking at the stems. What is bothering me is that there are only 2 stems as thick as a pencil on one side.

What I would like to know is, whether it is possible for the rose to grow other thick stems on the other sides and will those stems (that are already there) get any thicker?

I am still a beginner, so please bear with me. Thanks

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
shopshops

Yes Dragunov. With time and vigor your roses should grow . Was it a class two? Was it a hybrid tea rose? Should say on the wrapping . I think you will do well. Just keep it well watered. New roses can dry out when it heats up.

Bookmark   February 10, 2014 at 6:01AM
dragunov

No information about it is giving on the wrapping. Though I believe it is a hybrid tea rose.

You think that new, thick canes will grow from where I highlighted with the red circle? As that area seems closed for good.

Bookmark   February 10, 2014 at 9:05AM
henryinct

The answers are no and yes. New basal growth of the grafted rose will only come from the bud union (graft) area where the canes join the rootstock cane. This area will enlarge into a ball and buds that become canes will spring from it as well as from the established grafted canes. Any other canes that may spring from the rootstock cane will be from the rootstock and not the graft and you get rid of them by ripping them off at the base. The two canes that are there will get bigger as will the rootstock cane. As the root system gets better established and assuming you take good care of the rose the canes will get bigger.

Bookmark   February 10, 2014 at 1:50PM
seil zone 6b MI

What Henry said but that is a pretty typical looking bagged bare root rose so I wouldn't worry. Plant it and take good care of it and it will probably do just fine for you. I wouldn't prune anything off of it except dead wood for the first year. Just let it put on some roots and top growth.

Bookmark   February 10, 2014 at 7:58PM
More Discussions
Westerland
Westerland is a newer rose and in my opinion, a better...
lynnette
I love my Belinda's Dream Roses!
Belinda's Dream is proving to be such a good rose for...
sara_ann-z6bok
threads are not sorted from most recent to least
This sucks. I've got the threads under Lastest Activity...
rosecanadian
Climbing, spreading, purple roses?
Although I don't consider myself a rose aficionado,...
ilovegardening
Heirloom roses website
Hi, I've been trying to order roses from the Heirloom...
bellarosa
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™