Rejuvenate Boxwood?

ces797(6)April 24, 2009

Hi Guys

I recently bought a house with existing boxwood in the front yard. I'm not completely dissatisfied with it but I would like to know if it's possible bulk it up again. I have read a lot of information about thinning out boxwood to let it breathe and produce new growth, but what about the opposite? How do I bulk it up without doing serious surgery, or maybe my boxwood is just very old and needs to be retired?

Thanks for any help!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ces797(6)

forgot to provide a few specifics
It's on the East side of my house. Get's sun probably until about 3pm and it's at the base of a slight slope

Bookmark   April 24, 2009 at 12:03AM
brandon7 TN_zone(7)

Did you post the right picture? What am I missing? The boxwoods I see look pretty good from what I can tell. They certainly don't look to me like they need to be retired! If you want them to have a more full look, give them a haircut and they will fill in more.

Bookmark   April 24, 2009 at 2:20PM
ces797(6)

Ha
Thanks Brandon
Yeah they are not horrible I think I just have "neighbor envy" because I look at theirs and they are just these perfect bushy specimens. I moved into the house in the fall and trimmed them a bit. Do I have to trim a good 5 inches in or so to get new growth to come to the sides?

Bookmark   April 24, 2009 at 4:31PM
More Discussions
Name of this shrub?
I took this cutting from my Aunt's yard and don't remember...
jmagor
Grafting rose of sharon
I know that most people consider rose of sharon a pest...
Derby42 zone 6
Selecting shrubs for my new front bed
I'm in the planning stages for the bed at the southeast...
nonconformist_nymphette
Best purple/red Cotinus Coggyria cultivars
Are there any particular purple cultivars of Continus...
whaas_5a
Thoughts about these four dwarf evergreens?
Blue Star Juniper Pinus nigra 'Pierrick Bregeon' AKA...
zaphod42 SE WI
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™