Hollies in full sun

johnstaci(Z5/6 NW MO)April 30, 2010

What hollies will work in full sun next to brick house? Thinking of inkberries for foundation planting and want a smaller mounding holly as well (say 2'x2' or so). Any advice?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
subtropix

I love holly and got addicted to collecting as many different types as I could find.) You describe the position as full sun and next to a brick house. What is the exposure (south, west, etc.)? If it is hot, you probably should avoid the Blue hollies (Blue Princess, etc.) as they are said to resent excessive heat. There are dwarf varieties of Japanese holly that might meet your needs (they look very much like boxwoods). By the way, you might want to consider boxwoods. I have dwarf English on a hot western wall that I love (check for winter hardiness though). There's also a dwarf variety of Ilex vomitoria that is a heat lover (even though it's said to be good up to zone 7--bet it would survive in a hot exposure). There are probably a bunch of varieties you could grow as long as you would be willing to prune occasionally--most hollies don't grow that fast. Inkberry by the way, is a terrific variety for you larger plantings--very nice plant!

Bookmark   May 1, 2010 at 10:34PM
johnstaci(Z5/6 NW MO)

It would face the south. Thinking of shamrock inkberry in particular.

Bookmark   May 5, 2010 at 12:56AM
magnusmoss

I planted a holly near my parents brick house in full sun. It survived and grew big, but some of the leaves always look dead. I thought it was some kind of mold, but maybe it was the heat. It was some kind of silver varigated holly.

Bookmark   May 14, 2010 at 3:04PM
More Discussions
Illicium simonsii - anyone have experience with it?
I just came across Illicium simonsii at a local nursery...
Dave in NoVA • 7a • Northern VA
County Extension/Horticulture agents
Folks, many of us here make frequent recommendations...
wisconsitom
Protecting Rabbiteye Blueberry bushes from freeze
I'm in Raleigh NC and we're forecasted to get below...
northraleighguy
Haskap
Aka, honeyberry, aka blue-fruited honeysuckle, aka...
wisconsitom
Need thorny suggestions
I'm looking for thorny/annoying plants to put under...
Mary Townsend
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™