Tiffany or La France for Western exposure?

shopshopsFebruary 26, 2014

Sadly I have lost two perrenial shrubs to the excessive freezes in Texas this year. I was so looking forward to white blooms on my viburnums this year!

On the other hand, I have ordered 27 roses this year and need room. I now have a southern exposure with 9 hours of full Texas sun and a semi shaded Western exposure with 6 hours morning sun and evening shade. My two options are Tiffany and La France. Which should I put where?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
desertgarden561- Las Vegas Z9a

Tiffany is heat tolerant. It is on the suggested roses list for the hot, desert climate here. I am contemplating purchasing one, and if so, it will be placed in an area that receives 7-8 hours of sun. Two to three of the 8 hours of sun will be in afternoon sun.

I contemplated purchasing La France a few months ago. It would have been placed in an area that receives morning sun and afternoon shade. I know that others in hot climates grow La France and I believe it is a satisfactory performer.

This post was edited by desertgarden561 on Wed, Feb 26, 14 at 21:13

Bookmark   February 26, 2014 at 9:12PM
shopshops

Thank you dessert garden. They will be going into the ground next week.

Bookmark   February 26, 2014 at 10:50PM
sara_ann-z6bok

I do have Tiffany and it is heat tolerant, holds up very well during the heat. My two Tiffany bushes get the brunt of afternoon sun, the bed they are in faces the west. The picture shown was taken during a dry hot period last summer. I have ordered La France and am also looking forward to seeing how it performs.

This post was edited by Sara-Ann on Wed, Feb 26, 14 at 23:33

Bookmark   February 26, 2014 at 11:27PM
roseseek

Tiffany's petals are significantly more durable than La France's. Kim

Bookmark   February 26, 2014 at 11:48PM
nastarana(5a)

La France, for me, was a puny. disease ridden grower. I kept her because of the historic interest and for the beauty of the flowers. She needs constant attention, or mine did; you might want to plant near the back door.

Bookmark   February 27, 2014 at 11:19AM
ingrid_vc(Z10 SoCal)

La France may be more suitable for warmer climates than nastarana's. It's quite happy in my warm and dry garden, which I suspect is true of many early hybrid teas which are still closely related to the tea roses.

Bookmark   February 27, 2014 at 8:51PM
shopshops

Thank you soo much! SaraAnn what a beauty that Tiffany is. Thanks for sharing that picture. I have several Belinda's Dreams and she is one of Belinda's parents. To be honest one of the only reasons I ordered her. Ingrid, Nastarana and Roseseek. I also thank you for your advice. I will put Tiffany in the harsher sun and La France in the evening shade.

Bookmark   February 27, 2014 at 10:25PM
sara_ann-z6bok

Shopshops - Thank you. I would agree about Belinda's Dream. I have three and it is such a good rose. Glad you started this thread, the info about La France has been helpful also.

Bookmark   February 28, 2014 at 9:27AM
More Discussions
Since this Forum is starting over again
I have an idea, lets post or locations and our Zones....
dan_keil_cr Keil
Anyone grow Delbard roses (like Dames de Chenonceau)?
I've been told that the Delbards are a lot like Austins....
gardenerzone4
What rose is this?!?
First photo is what I'm looking for answers to. I thought...
Selah Kleaning
Dying rose bushes? Can they be saved?
I bought a place 5 years ago with three rose bushes,...
peachbrand
Candy Stripe questions...
After nursing this band from Rogue Valley along since...
nummykitchen
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™