Rosmarinus officinalis

isidora2000April 21, 2012

There is someone here who knows some cultivars of Rosmarinus officinalis which resists cold winters ?

I live in south Romania, zone 6a, and have a garden of medicinal herbs. Until now, I didn't succeed to have rosmarin in my garden. All died in the winter.

Nun Isidora

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
linaria_gw

Hi there,
in my experience I couldn't get Rosmary/Rosmarinus through the winter in Berlin, Zone 7. Moved to Basel, Switzerland, a warm zone 7. My Rosemary survived 2 winters, the last cold season killed it, with late frost.

In general, good drainage with dry soil in late summer helps the woody parts to mature and get somewhat frostresistent. Providing shade against winter sun would be important too.
But all in all I guess you need to switch tactics and make cuttings in summer to keep indoors in the winter.
Or just replant every season.

Well, perhaps someone else has another thought, good luck with your herb garden,

bye, Lin

Bookmark   April 21, 2012 at 3:12PM
subtropix

Rosemary variety 'Arps' is supposed to be a cold hardy cultivar. My summers are hot, humid, and often wet but I have not had problems with rosemary in zone 7 regardless of variety. They get to be flowering hedges for me but friends 50 miles away claim they won't overwinter--so their range seems to cut off abruptly. I agree, with the need for a sandy well-drained soil (consider a raised bed), but mine seem fine with full, winter sun.

Bookmark   April 22, 2012 at 7:11AM
gardengal48

That cultivar name would be 'Arp' (not Arps), named for the location in Arp, Texas where it was discovered. It was passed on to the US National Arboretum where it was trialed and impressively survived temperatures of -10F. It is reputed to be fully hardy to a zone 6 but there are certainly variables involved that would affect the ability to overwinter cold temperatures....I might take that rating with a grain of salt :-)

Bookmark   April 22, 2012 at 1:17PM
isidora2000

Thank all of you for these informations.
Is there anyone who can tell me where I can find to buy some Arp seeds or shrubs ? Although it will be very difficult to get some shrubs from United States or somewhere else.

Bookmark   May 9, 2012 at 7:36AM
More Discussions
weeping pussy willow
i have a weeping pussy willow that is 4 feet tall and...
kansaswheat
Blackthorn Bushes
Hello Y'all, I have ordered 4 Blackthorn Bushes (Prunus...
Caviler
Does anyone know what kind of shrub this is?
Landscaper planted it calling it silver green, but...
pebbles81
Edgeworthia chrysantha never fully blooms?
I planted my edgeworthia about 2 years ago. Last year...
chueh
Hello, I need help with my hazelnuts
About 8 years ago I purchased 20 Twigs with roots....
audreyandmerle
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™