Can Colette be grown as a shrub, instead of a climber?

mzstitch(Zone 7b South Carolina)February 12, 2014

I'm loving the rose Colette, but I'd prefer to plant it as a shrub instead of as a climber. Is this possible? It will be against a horse fence that does have a wire mesh, but I prefer not to have it climb up the fence, but instead just hang out as a shrub.
Also if anyone has one that they have pictures of the plant I would appreciate seeing it!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
hoovb zone 9 sunset 23

It's not very tall, even here in zone 9b. It would probably be a very floppy shrub without support. Mine does kind of arch out from the wall I have it on. (I have the yellow sport of it, but the growth habit is the same). It's the one in the middle:

Bookmark   February 12, 2014 at 8:59PM
nanadollZ7 SWIdaho(Zone 7 Boise SW Idaho)

I hesitated to comment on this because my Colette is so young, but I, too, think it would be too floppy as a bush. Mine has very flexible, easily manipulated canes which really want to climb up an arbor or other support. Diane

Bookmark   February 13, 2014 at 3:32AM
mzstitch(Zone 7b South Carolina)

Thank you both for your response. I'm in love with it so I guess I'll just let it be a climber. The yellow sport of it is quite pretty too!

Bookmark   February 13, 2014 at 8:35AM
hoovb zone 9 sunset 23

If you use a short-ish wide-ish tuteur type of structure, I think you could get a nice shrub effect with it.

Bookmark   February 13, 2014 at 11:57PM
kittymoonbeam

I agree that if you wound it around and around something, it would be shorter and you would get plenty of flowers that way. The Nixon Library in Yorba Linda has two Madame Alfred C's clipped down and the branches just wind around down low so why don't you try it? Just remove the support later when the rose is older with woody canes.

Bookmark   February 14, 2014 at 10:17AM
mzstitch(Zone 7b South Carolina)

Thanks for your imput. It's so beautiful I tried to order it anyway, but sadly Roses Unlimited is all out, and thats where I prefer to order my roses since I live here in S.C. Trying to order a Sonia Rykiel instead as I'm looking for a nice pink addittion to my garden.

Bookmark   February 14, 2014 at 11:07AM
iris_gal(z9 CA)

mzstitch,
I have 'Colette' buried in a 5 gal. container (gophers) about 5 yrs. and I assume the roots have grown thru the drinage holes. With minimal pruning she's stayed about 4 1/2 ft. And here everything outgrows listed heights.

She's not a dense bush, rather twiggy & open. I have a salvia that intermingles plus annuals/perrenials around her. Sometimes she's pink. Mostly apricot pink. More of a charming rose rather than a beauty.
Irisgal

Bookmark   February 14, 2014 at 10:39PM
More Discussions
Since this Forum is starting over again
I have an idea, lets post or locations and our Zones....
dan_keil_cr Keil
Soaking a bareroot rose?
I've been wondering about the best way to prepare a...
sara_ann-z6bok
Fortuniana grafted roses
If you can grow rose's that are grafted onto fortuniana...
Ken (N.E.GA.mts) 7a/b
Partial Shade Miniflora
I am looking for some Minifloras that would be okay...
Beth9116 zone 8a TX
Heirloom roses website
Hi, I've been trying to order roses from the Heirloom...
bellarosa
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™