fertilizing garden

themilkdud05(5a)May 5, 2014

I'm new to gardening... Can anyone tell me if I should fertilize my garden rows before transplanting my indoor plants into the garden? I have neptunes fish emulsion and seaweed fertilizer? Any suggestions would be appreciated

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
digdirt2(6b-7a No.Cent. AR HZ8 Sun-35)

You'll find many discussions about this question over on the Vegetable Gardening forum here, assuming you are talking about vegetables. If you mean flowers then each has its own forum with advice on what to feed and how to prepare the soil before transplanting.

Both of the fertilizers you list are liquids. Liquids are normally used after planting to feed the plants throughout the season once they are established.

Vegetable garden beds may be fertilized with any number of things, both organic and synthetic, prior to planting - compost, composted manures, dry granular fertilizers, etc.- things that are dry and mixed in with the soil.

Whether your garden soil actually needs fertilizers or not usually depends on the results of a soil test. You can add fertilizers without a soil test of course but it would just be a guessing game as to what and how much to add and it is easy to add too much.

Check out the gardening forum for your type of plants for more detailed information.

Dave

Bookmark   May 5, 2014 at 2:07PM
More Discussions
Thank you All
I've been on GardenWeb forever, but I lurk mostly,...
patchworkfarm (z6 CT)
Should I pot up or go straight to garden?
Do I need to pot up my seedlings? I have a pretty successful...
minuet_7a
Trouble growing beets
Does anyone know why my beet seedlings will germinate...
mtgs
When to uncover seedlings?
I've successfully started seeds for years by bottom...
oldbuck
Pinch or toss?
My sweet peas are leggy. Can I pinch them or should...
Loni Tabor
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™