Seed survival rate with 4"+ of rain?

cagoldbear(9a - Houston)May 27, 2014

New plot gardener here, a little concerned about the seeds I just put down, followed by 4" of rain. I put down a trio set of bush beans, rainbow chard, globe squash, jewel watermelon in the plot. There was some pooling in the plot. I also put down some Cosmos, sunflowers and butterfly weed in the front. There's 4 days of heavy rain forecast, in late May.. :: Can I consider the seeds a waste and order new ones, or should I give it a few weeks?

Thanks!
Tiffan

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
sleevendog

End of May, hmmm. Seems a bit late for all of those varieties? Should they not be planted in Feb.?
Or a fall planting? You must have a local nursery, (not a big box store), that can give you a guide to a vegetable garden. Or a neighbor or mentor that has had success...

I've never direct seeded an entire pack of seeds, maybe 1/3rd or less...then a week later or two weeks, seed a few more...for insurance depending on weather.

I did live in Texas one year, years ago, and followed a neighbors advice. Picked a high spot for a small garden and soon realized why it was a good idea...devastating heavy rains would have destroyed all efforts.

Find a garden club, a group that shares garden advice and get that soil ready for the next season....the basics for a healthy start without wasting money on experiments.

Many methods to divert heavy rains that do not wash away your good soil....or destroy your seedlings...but best to seek a local gardener.

Bookmark   May 27, 2014 at 12:28PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
cagoldbear(9a - Houston)

Well, I checked them yesterday evening and the soil seems to still be in place, so maybe the seeds stay put. Yes, I'm a little late on the produce gardening, I was more into the flowers at the time I should have been planting others. But this is my first year, so I may be using it as my "classroom year." The pumpkins are flourishing, though, and I think the watermelons are doing alright. Here's their sprouts from two weeks ago..

Bookmark   May 28, 2014 at 12:39PM
More Discussions
floating seed trays
I used to see styrofoam seed trays that would float...
T S
Check my strategy of growing from seed
Hey, I am really sick of shopping plants online and...
ppguoppguo
Need Help Starting Seedlings
Hi!! My name is Sunny. :) I joined your forum just...
sunnygirl55
Problem diagnosis - Please Help!!
I am having an issue where my seedling's leaves are...
Andy Keels
Fertilizing transplants?
Hello everyone! I have a bunch of peppers and tomatoes...
rock_n_ruf
Sponsored Products
Joy Carpets Animal Hide & Seek Kids Area Rug Multicolor - 51-B
$121.00 | Hayneedle
Sutton Place 9 Light Chandelier
$496.00 | Bludot
Chrome Three-Light Bath Light with Etched White Glass
$95.90 | Bellacor
MaxLite LSV2406SU30DV50 2 Foot LED Vapor Tight Fixture, 5000K
EnvironmentalLights.com
Loll Designs Kids Cricket Chair (solid) - Loll Designs
$269.00 | HORNE