Things are dry and desperate here.

Min3 South S.F. Bay CAJuly 26, 2014

(re-posted from reptile forum)
The creek below us has dried up and besides, I haven't heard any frogs down there in a few years - it used to be so noisy I had to close the doors to make a phone call.
I have 3 ponds in my yard and they have all been busy with little tree frogs every year including this one, but the smallest pond, about 5 feet round has turned into a bog with all the plants. I have no idea how deep it is any more but the frogs like it. I need to know the best time of year to thin out the plants without bothering the frogs. If it is better to just leave it as it is I will, because their situation is so desperate. Any advice is welcome! Min

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lmjk1221

I have no answer to your question - sorry! I would guess that, if the frogs have no alternative, they will return to your pond regardless of when you choose to thin plants. But that's just a guess.

I do feel for you all out there who are suffering for water - it's a bad situation.

Bookmark   July 27, 2014 at 9:35AM
waterbug_guy(Phoenix AZ (Melrose))

I assume the frogs would never want the plants disturbed. More plants = more cover and food. If you had to pick a time I suppose when food was most abundant.

However there is a harshness to nature. I wouldn't personally be overly differential to the frogs and would divide the plants or do whatever when I needed to. Trying to do too much for any species seems to always have the opposite effect long term.

Bookmark   July 27, 2014 at 9:52AM
Min3 South S.F. Bay CA

Thank you lisak, waterbug guy and also FHFchrish (whose reply didn't show up here for some reason). I appreciate your thoughtful input. Guess I will just thin out the water plants a little at a time over the summer. We won't any get rain until about October and we all hope it goes on until our reservoirs are full again. Stay cool! Min

Bookmark   July 28, 2014 at 5:25PM
More Discussions
Spring is slowly getting here
It is 71 degrees outside and all the ice has melted...
frankielynnsie
Free mosquito fish (Gambusia) in FL?
Does any one know if you can get free mosquito fish(Gambusia)...
novembergrl
Overwintered Goldfish
So I have a small outdoor pond which I've had for 5...
MrBlubs
My fish is sick - treating for dropsy
Am attempting to treat one of my fish... classic dropsy...
kashka_kat
Black Magic Elephant ear plant
for the first time I have two balck magic elephant...
sandyl
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™