Purple Zinnias Lost

pink_warm_mama_1(Z4 Maine)May 14, 2012

Under lights in my garage my flat of purple zinnias showed themselves so quickly I couldn't believe it. I also couldn't believe it a few days later when I discovered they no longer had any tops! What in the world could have done this? I suspect some kind of insect, but I also wonder if a mouse could have pulled this trick. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
morz8(Washington Coast Z8b)

Yes, mice will eat seedlings - you wouldn't be the first growing in a garage or basement to lose their seedlings to a mouse :)

Bookmark   May 14, 2012 at 12:38PM
pink_warm_mama_1(Z4 Maine)

WELL! Am I surprised! And I was so darned nice to that mouse, too, letting it have all the sunflower seeds it wanted! Such a sap - but I learn quickly. Thanks for your help.

Bookmark   May 14, 2012 at 6:32PM
docmom_gw Zone 5 MI(5)

I just lost every single coleus sprout I had to mice in my basement. I went down to check my beautiful, expensive, diverse collection of sprouts, and they were all decapitated. And sitting happily under the warm lights was the furry culprit, staring back at me. I think the mouse was frozen with fear, since it sat perfectly still. When I came back with mouse traps, it was gone. I did trap three over night, and I plan to keep the traps up for the winter. Now I just need to decide whether to buy more coleus seeds or not. I've certainly got enough time. I just don't want to lose another batch to the rodents. Maybe I could rig up a screen covering to keep the mice out. Any suggestions?

Martha

Bookmark   December 13, 2014 at 11:28AM
More Discussions
Petunia seedlings' leaves curling
My petunia seedlings are tiny and have curled up leaves,...
Jennifer
Pepper Seeds from Commercial Dried Peppers
Has anyone had any success growing peppers from seeds...
goldenz5
Also why are my seedings growing towards the window instead of up?
I planted some morning glory's and sensitive plants. I...
tlbean2004
Need Advice........
I sowed flats of New Guinea Imps & Begonias 3 weeks...
gltrap54
calling all Canadians
Any Canadian wanting a seedling heat mat Home Hardware...
dowlinggram
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™