when to plant

tulips101(5a sterling il.)April 8, 2013

I just bought 3 pinky winky hydrangeas and the woman at the nursery said it was ok to plant now here in zone 5 I was told and have read to wait till 2 weeks after last frost date who is right I please could use some advice thank you.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5

are they dormant.. or leafed out

did she grow them locally.. or were they shipped from down south

a pic might help ...

and finally .... the soil just thawed in my z5 MI.. its almost summer in z5 KCity ... where are you???

ken

Bookmark   April 8, 2013 at 11:50AM
tulips101(5a sterling il.)

bought them from a nursery these were left from last year but still gave me a year guarantee.
they are still dormate
I live 50 miles fromm Rockford il. I live in Sterling il.
they buy there stock it says proven winners on pot
I will have to figure out how to purt pic on here can I use a card reader like other places online.

Bookmark   April 8, 2013 at 1:31PM
Tiffany, purpleinopp GardenWeb, Z8b Opp, AL

For your pics, do you mean a memory card from your camera or phone?

Bookmark   April 9, 2013 at 11:09AM
tulips101(5a sterling il.)

I have used a card reader that you put your memory card from your camera in then plug into a usb and then name what file you want to put them in then I guess I could transport to this site I think

Bookmark   April 9, 2013 at 1:58PM
Tiffany, purpleinopp GardenWeb, Z8b Opp, AL

Yes, when posting, you can click the browse button to include 1 pic per post, once the pics are on your computer.

Bookmark   April 9, 2013 at 2:36PM
gardengal48

See my response to duplicate post in Hydrangea forum. The planting of hardy woody plants (trees and shrubs) is NOT governed by last frost date. That is only for cold sensitive plants like annuals and tender perennails. The only limiting factor to planting anytime you like is that soils be workable - not frozen and not overly wet.

If the plants are imported from a warmer area or grown in a greenhouse, you do need to acclimate them before planting in the ground but that's got nothing to do with last frost date!!

Bookmark   April 9, 2013 at 2:49PM
ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5

gal.. you've been in the PNW too long..

you are correct.. 'frost' is nearly irrelevant to a properly hardened off plant ..... and i would guess z8 frost is like dandruff...

its the FREEZES that kill things.. especially after they have been frosted a few times... and in my MI.. that can happen thru mid may.. and extraordinarily thru 6/1 ...

i cant tell you how many TN-south imports have perished in my MI ... on FREEZE kills ... across all spectrums of plants ... and the kicker is.. they brown up and shrivel a month later.. when the real heat hits.. and you are left trying to remember if there was a major freeze back when ...

a fully leafed out.. forced for sale .. imported into your region ..... improperly hardened off hydrenga ..... surely can die in a FREEZE... just like anything else ...

maybe it will .. maybe it wont ... she didnt ask for odds ...

ken

Bookmark   April 9, 2013 at 3:52PM
More Discussions
What's wrong with my Gardenia???
Hi there, my potted gardenia and I live in San Diego....
lucylusmile
Unknown evergreen shrub
Hello experts! Do you know what this evergreen shrub...
kevinako
Jelena witch hazel
Spring 2012 few blooms Spring 2013 it bloomed great. Spring...
mainegard3
Suggestion for a 3x3 shrub needed
Hello. I'm looking for some options for a part to mostly...
zaphod42 SE WI
What variety of evergreen shrubs are these?
The photo files aren't rotated on my computer so I...
stlmom77
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™