Seed starts in July and August - Inside or Out?

whatisrice(North Texas)May 12, 2012

Hi all,

I'm planning ahead, and my garden calendar is telling me that in July and August, there are certain Fall veggies that I need to get started under cover before transplanting when it cools off in September and October.

I'm in North Texas, and it gets hot in July and August. And by hot, I mean real hot. Last year we have 40 days of 105+ degrees in a row.

So my question is, do I have to do these seed starts inside my house, where it's cool? Or can I keep them in the shade outdoors? I don't have a lot of good windows in the house, and I don't really have any place to put them; so my preference would be to have my seed starts outdoors.

Any thoughts? Will it be too hot for Fall veggie seed starts?

Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
digdirt2(6b-7a No.Cent. AR HZ8 Sun-35)

All depends on what vegetables you are talking about. Leafy greens and cCole crops like cabbage, cauliflower, broccoli etc. will do much better inside. They will just bolt otherwise.

Tomatoes would do alright outside in shade.

Dave

Bookmark   May 12, 2012 at 4:01PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
calistoga_al

Here I am a grower of ornamentals and start lots of seeds, mostly perennials and biennials outdoors in the summer. I have a plastic covered area 10x20 feet open on both ends, mostly shaded by tall trees. The summer temperatures are just about right and the fluctuating day/night temperatures actually seem to help the germination. The seeds are kept plastic covered to maintain moisture until germination, when the plastic is then removed. Al

Bookmark   May 13, 2012 at 9:47AM
More Discussions
Growing without heat mats
So I have only been growing from seed for a few years...
planterjeff
Time for some early seed starting!
Got my seeds today. In about a week or so I will start...
Peter1142
When seeds go bad
I've been starting plants indoors over winter for several...
idloveamocha
Recommendations for seed starting medium please
I started gardening for fun about 2 years ago. I have...
mannie3moon
calling all Canadians
Any Canadian wanting a seedling heat mat Home Hardware...
dowlinggram
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™