Cultivated plant with palmate leaves, white margins

w1ldflower(5)August 22, 2014

I posted this before but wasn't able to get a positive ID. This was growing in a local public garden in fairly dry soil in partial to dappled shade. No sign of flowering or seed production that was obvious. There were a couple of very thin brown shriveled stems emerging near the leaves but I couldn't for certain say they belonged to this plant and not another. Leaves measured ~3-4 inches in diameter with either five or seven leaflets. Leaf margins are white and irregularly toothed. Thanks for any leads!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Desirai(7B)

my immediate thought was it looks similar to helleborus, but I'm not an expert on plants I haven't grown.

Bookmark   August 22, 2014 at 9:46PM
aurorawa(8B)

I would agree and say helleborus. The leaves vary greatly in color, size, and some have patterns of different colors. A great plant that blooms late winter through to late spring/early summer. Evergreen and likes shade/light sun.

Bookmark   August 23, 2014 at 2:10AM
thedecoguy
    Bookmark   August 23, 2014 at 5:37AM
esh_ga

Doesn't look like Potentilla to me.

Bookmark   August 23, 2014 at 9:03AM
earline_pa zone 6 Pa.

I knew I saw this before.

EDIT....Closer look I think I'm wrong :(

Here is a link that might be useful: white edges

This post was edited by earline_pa on Sat, Aug 23, 14 at 9:59

Bookmark   August 23, 2014 at 9:56AM
w1ldflower(5)

Hi all! Thanks for your suggestions. Fairly certain it is not a hellebore, unless it is a species I am unfamiliar with (these include helleborus orientale, h. niger and H. foetidus). The leaves are considerably smaller as is the overall height (only about 6 inches for this plant). Hellebore is also evergreen in our area and I believe this died back in the fall. Lastly, I have never seen a hellebore with white margins and as there were no apparent seed pods... hellebore pods remain on the plant and are simply too large to miss.... I think I can pretty much eliminate that one from the possibilities.

As for it being some type of cinquefoil, I am also not convinced. Though the leaf and plant size is closer (than to the hellebore), each of the leaves on this plant seemed to emerge on it's own stem. Leaves were also smoother than potentilla and less reminiscent of a strawberry and were not noticeably pubescent.

Could I have possibly finally stumped this group? :) I'm attaching a closer look at the leaf to see if we can change that.

Bookmark   August 23, 2014 at 11:46AM
suemcwirraluk

I found Alchemilla conjuncta while googling "silver edged leaves". Is it a possibility?

Bookmark   August 23, 2014 at 1:11PM
garystpaul(4)

How about a kind of galium?

Bookmark   August 23, 2014 at 2:34PM
jaynine

Variegated Pachysandra?

Bookmark   August 23, 2014 at 7:31PM
Thyme2dig NH Zone 5

Looks like the alchemilla I have in my garden. Maybe alpina? I've had very few flowers on mine. Has stayed quite small over a number of years.

Bookmark   August 23, 2014 at 9:11PM
garystpaul(4)

I think suemc probably nailed it: alchemilla conjuncta. Cool-looking plant!

Gary

Bookmark   August 24, 2014 at 9:44AM
aswhad(belgium-europe)

Alchemilla alpina is also very close to....conjuncta.

Here is a link that might be useful: http://www.plant-identification.co.uk/skye/rosaceae/alchemilla-alpina.htm

Bookmark   August 24, 2014 at 9:53AM
Desirai(7B)

Well that's cool! I've never heard of/seen that plant before.

Bookmark   August 24, 2014 at 3:31PM
w1ldflower(5)

Well, I see you all like a challenge! Thanks very much for everyone's input. Now that you got me on the right track/genus, I was able to determine that it does appear to be Alchemilla alpina. For the record, this is the shorter of the two in stature (just 6-8") vs. A. conjuncta who grows to 12-18" and has 7 leaves without the sharp teeth that appear on A. alpina. Another close relative is A. sericea, but that one has the presence of small hairs on the surface and this one did not.

Best of all, I was able to locate an online resource for seeds so I won't have to wait another year to see if I can catch some before they scatter! Very excited! Thanks a bunch!!

Bookmark   August 26, 2014 at 8:56PM
More Discussions
Can you please name this plant (Qatar)
I did sow a lots of avocado nearby it looks slightly...
maufie123
Identifying Plant
Any help identifying this plant would be appreciated....
Sari Lomax
help id plant please
can anyone id these plants please, they have been coming...
grice38
HELP!!!!
I just bought this plant two weeks ago- i assume its...
lorennland
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™