dirty rain runoff control plants?

zeeicemachineJuly 5, 2014

So I have a little 200gallon pond I just finished but do to elevated areas of vegetation around it, it is a few inches below the surrounding area.

Now we don't get much rain in so cal but I will still have an issue with dirty rain water entering the pond.

is there an effective plant to catch most of the silt before it enters the pond, some type of bush or ground cover?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
waterbug_guy(Phoenix AZ (Melrose))

Grass maybe.

I think rock mulch is better and then plant anything to hide the rock if you like. If you can dig down the dirt and replace with rock. Plants can go up thru a thick layer of rock mulch.

Bookmark   July 5, 2014 at 11:52PM
lmjk1221

Any kind of thick ground cover - not sure what grows well in your area - will do the trick. We have vinca along one edge of our pond that is low to keep the much out of the pond. As it fills in it does a great job.

Bookmark   July 6, 2014 at 12:00AM
waterbug_guy(Phoenix AZ (Melrose))

Ground cover is great for stopping splash from rain, but for water running down over soil and into the pond I would think a more dense stem system would be more helpful. But the dirt in the pond could be from rain splash and not running water, unless you're seeing actual eroded soil.

Bookmark   July 6, 2014 at 6:35PM
frugalgardener(5MI)

Go to the dollar store and buy a cheap polyester blanket - brown or sand colored is good. Cut it in strips as wide as needed. Cover your banks with it and tuck the bottom edge under/behind the pond liner. Cover it with rocks, gravel, and cut a few small planting holes as needed. Creeping Jenny and some grasses will grow right over and thru it. Sherry

Bookmark   July 6, 2014 at 7:56PM
zeeicemachine

ah good to know, ty

Bookmark   July 7, 2014 at 12:01AM
butterfly4u

Zee,
Liriope, daylillies, variegated ornamental grass, a dwarf variety, and japanese iris (it gets tall), but the japanese iris is awesome with guarding a pond edge from anything.

Bookmark   July 15, 2014 at 10:39PM
More Discussions
Water chestnuts and Arrowhead (Saggitaria) from grocery store?
I also bought these at the grocery store to try for...
fireweed22
New UV ordered
This is my first time that I will use a UV lamp for...
hwarrick
Waterproof concrete sealers are too expensive
I'm just getting into this whole water feature thing,...
marsrising
How To Get Rid of Pond Vegetation
I had a small pond deepened and it is great except...
alameda/zone 8
Waterlilies won't grow, leaves are small and curled
Hi all, I have waterlillies that until a year ago was...
reneek
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™