Seeds that can be started in spring/summer?

tanyuu((5/6 - South IN))May 11, 2012

It's now May, and I'm afraid my addiction to growing seeds (especially now that I've found methods that work and I don't have seedlings dying everywhere) has not slowed, I'm wondering if there's seeds to try out that can be started now. I'd probably grow them in my small greenhouse or under lights instead of directly planting; my family's doing a lot of landscaping and catching up on weeding (now that I'm back from college that's been one of my duties) so we wouldn't know where to plant until later.

I was pondering annuals like Zinnias, but I'm afraid to start them only to have them start flowering when it's too late to really appreciate them. I have too many vines planted, so that's out as well. Maybe a perennial? I'm still learning about all this, but it's been a fun process.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
sujiwan_gw

There's a lot of annuals (like zinnia, cosmos, etc) that say on the seed packet "Can be started indoors x weeks before last frost date OR outside after danger of frost". I am in zone 6/7 and have put zinnias in direct seed in mid summer and gotten a fine show before frost. I f you want a longer show I wouldn't wait that long though! I have been starting many perennials because my seed is getting old. I'll just have to grow a bunch for foliage this year (haha) and get my flowers next in most cases... Your mileage may vary as far as seasonal issues like earlier frosts in Indiana.

Bookmark   May 11, 2012 at 4:53PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
tanyuu((5/6 - South IN))

Haha, that may be my only choice, it seems. I'm inbetween zones and frost is fickle here.

Bookmark   May 11, 2012 at 8:12PM
More Discussions
calling all Canadians
Any Canadian wanting a seedling heat mat Home Hardware...
dowlinggram
starting seeds in cold frame
Hi all, I am in the process of building a cold frame...
vnoelleb
Growing without heat mats
So I have only been growing from seed for a few years...
planterjeff
Make your own seed tapes
Something to do on a cold Feb. day make your own seed...
oldgardenguy_zone6
Are store-bought seeds scarified?
If I purchase a packet of seeds from the store, are...
stainsor
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™