Lavender seedlings, help needed

caroline1510May 14, 2012

Hi all have tried my hand at planting seeds this year and all are doing very well. One of the plants I have tried is lavender. Lots germinated and now I have 120 lavender seedlings! I potted them on in the last few days, all look healthy and had very big roots compared to the size of the seedlings. I was wondering if anyone had any advice on caring for them. They are on a window sill at the moment but was wondering if they could go in a greenhouse and when they could go outdoors. Also should I be feeding them? Any advice would be greatly appriciated, I am a novice gardener but very much enjoying my new hobby!

Many thanks caroline

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
calistoga_al

Hello Caroline, welcome to the GardenWeb. Lavender should be outside as soon as possible. I am sure it would have no trouble at all in May, in the UK. Congratulations on getting the good start. Lavender is from the Mediterranean area and likes a long hot dry summer, not likely in your area. Here in California it grows like a weed, and we grow a lot of it. Al

Bookmark   May 15, 2012 at 10:22AM
flora_uk(SW UK 8/9)

Just to reiterate, Caroline, harden them off (should only take a few days now) and put them outside. Plant them out when they reach a reasonable size e.g. 4 - 5 inches.

To harden off you could put them in the greenhouse for a day or two, then outside and in the greenhouse at night for 2 days, then out permanently. This is a very cautious programme. They'd probably be fine going out at once but I'm just being careful.

Although lavender is from the Med it grows fine in the UK as long as it is in soil which drains well. No need to feed lavender at all. You have enough for a hedge! Good luck.

Bookmark   May 17, 2012 at 4:22PM
caroline1510

Thanks very much for the advice, they've been in an un-heated green house for the past few days and they're looking fine even though there's been some cold night's. Will start hardening them off tomorrow. Just got to decide what to do with them all now!

Bookmark   May 17, 2012 at 4:39PM
calistoga_al

Hi again Caroline. I looked up your member page to find your location, and mentioned the UK in my answer to bring out UK gardeners like Flora uk to also answer your post. If you would edit your name to show your location you would get more responses from gardeners in a similar location to yours. Al

Bookmark   May 18, 2012 at 8:54AM
More Discussions
Potting up seedlings ?
I have started my seeds in 'organic seed starting mix'...
youngdb
calling all Canadians
Any Canadian wanting a seedling heat mat Home Hardware...
dowlinggram
New to starting tomatoes and pepper from seed. Tweak my plan!
After finding out that buying the amount of plants...
asm198 - Zone 6a (MO)
Pepper Seeds from Commercial Dried Peppers
Has anyone had any success growing peppers from seeds...
goldenz5
starting seeds in cold frame
Hi all, I am in the process of building a cold frame...
vnoelleb
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™