Bushes for shade, in tight space (1ft wide)?

Jowz(6B Northern VA)April 1, 2013

I'm redoing my backyard and I will have a "bed" surrounding the patio stone that is 1ft wide (between stone and fence). Are there any small shrubs that could be planted in that small space or am I limited to flowers? The area is in part-shade. Thanks.

This post was edited by Jowz on Mon, Apr 1, 13 at 14:05

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5

w/o a pic.. its hard to conceptualize..

can you do vine on the fence .... like clematis???

ken

Bookmark   April 1, 2013 at 2:57PM
Jowz(6B Northern VA)

This is a crude rendering of my project. The plants and hardscape are placeholders. The plan is to grow climbing hydrangea in the back fence and other plants in the 3ft space. Since it's a townhouse, I'm apprehensive about vines in the shared fences. But I do love clematis :-)

In the 1 ft spaces, I'm thinking a groundcover, Angelina sedum, but I think it would be nice to break that up with other plants.

Bookmark   April 2, 2013 at 7:45AM
Dave in NoVA • 7a • Northern VA

I don't know many shrubs that are so narrow that they would take up only about 1 foot width, and still get -- what? maybe 4 to 5 feet tall?

Some that come to mind that are very upright are Euonymus 'Greenspire', Buxus sempervirens 'Dee Runk', and Ilex (Holly) 'Castle Spire'. But even these may require some pruning.

Or you could try to espalier something on the fence, such as a very hardy Camellia sasanqua or japonica... something that won't grow thru the fence and infringe on your neighbor's space. These will require regular pruning and training, but could be really nice with evergreen foliage AND flowers and they grow slowly enough that they should be easy to maintain.

Bookmark   April 2, 2013 at 12:12PM
jeff_al

seems like a perfect area for a rock garden style of planting. why not mix different sedums interspersed with some summer annuals and interesting rocks/stones?
i grow 'angelina', 'blue spruce', 'voodoo' and 'ogon' sedums in a similar setting. they are all fully hardy and evergreen here and, although mine are not in shade, they do fine with about 3-4 hours of sun.
those, along with some other low growers like creeping phlox, veronica 'georgia blue', etc. make a colorful bed.

Bookmark   April 2, 2013 at 2:20PM
flora2b(z6a bc)

Espalier is a very nice look. Here is an apple tree I did up.

Good luck with your decision and show us pics when you complete.
flora

Bookmark   April 7, 2013 at 9:11PM
More Discussions
Jelena witch hazel
Spring 2012 few blooms Spring 2013 it bloomed great. Spring...
mainegard3
Lilac budding bright green in zero temps!
We have had cold temps and tons of snow this winter...
wcgarden
What variety of evergreen shrubs are these?
The photo files aren't rotated on my computer so I...
stlmom77
Azalea bonsai show - images
Pictures taken on February 18, 2015, Huzhou city, Hunan...
jujujojo_gw
Any experience with leather leaf viburnums?
I want to screen an access road to our property with...
jellicoe
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™