Hedge Suggestions

ajfanApril 10, 2013

Our yard is higher than our neighbours-divided by a retaining wall, I'd say about 8 feet high. I'd like to have a border between our yards & rather than a fence I'm thinking of doing hedging...about 60-70 feet. It's a sunny location with only 1 birch tree. I've narrowed down my search to the dwarf burning bush or the red twig dogwood.
At the end of the day I'd like it to be 4 or 5 feet tall.
Any suggestions - for or against? Or other ideas? Appreciate all the input...I've been wanting to do this for about 3 years now - finally got the old maples chopped down and ready to go this spring. Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5

its hard to be inspired.. w/o a picture ...

my gut tells me you can do better with just about anything.. rather than the two rather common plants you suggest ...

regardless .. at that length.. i would diversify color.. texture.. and species ...

ken

Bookmark   April 11, 2013 at 8:25AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
felisar

I love the red twig dogwoods and grow several varieties BUT not a good choice for a mono-culture hedge. They are susceptible to a number of diseases and tend to be short lived. And definitely NOT dwarf burning bush that is on the invasive plant list in a number of states and is in my opinion a one season plant. Following up on Ken's suggestion using a mix of species - some suggestions are:
Vernal witchhazels, dwarf river birch 'Little King', smaller serviceberries such as 'Princess Diana', dwarf evergreen cultivars, larger hydrangeas such as hydrangea paniculata 'Tardivia', northern bayberry, smaller viburnum cultivers such as 'Blue Muffin'. ninebark cultivar 'Summer Wine' or Coppertina, rugosa rose 'Belle Pointevine', etc.. Anyway you are only limited by your imagination, your wallet and your zone!

Bookmark   April 11, 2013 at 1:38PM
More Discussions
Need suggestions
Hi everyone, I need to plant something in the front...
wonka31
Recs For Underused Ornamental Shrubs
Can you share some that you'd think would be planted...
catkin
My new-old shrub woes
I moved into this house a year ago and am now starting...
nonconformist_nymphette
What's wrong with my Gardenia???
Hi there, my potted gardenia and I live in San Diego....
lucylusmile
Any experience with leather leaf viburnums?
I want to screen an access road to our property with...
jellicoe
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™