Electric Propagator That cool instead of heat.

gonene1May 28, 2014

I live in Israel it is considered to be zone 11.
The temperature now is about 30c\86f and in a month or two it can easily get to 40c\104f.

I want to start some strawberry seeds.

From about 50 seeds that i previously planted only 3 sprouted , but these that did are developing very well.

from what i read in many websites i understand that high temperature can cause the seed to remain dormant and even go into a deeper dormancy state.

I was looking for a propagator that can control the temperature , but where ever i look i only find ones that can provide heat (maybe for cool climate).
I can't find a propagator that can cool down and provide a cooler environment then the one outside.

Is there such a propagator ? (one that can cool not just heat)

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
cold_weather_is_evil(9)

If you don't mind a humid environment, you could use a fish tank or clear tote with a water bath and an electric cooler designed for aquaria. The advantage might be that you could also adjust heat in a similar way with a standard tank heater. This is all mature tech.

It might seem difficult to avoid high humidity without clobbering light input, such as by using clear plastic as a vapor barrier or as a water bag, but it's not too hard.

That's one way.

You could dedicate an old mini refrigerator (dorm room fridge) and apply some mad skills vis-ÃÂ -vis copper tubing coils, a thermostat (even a pair of lowly snap discs), a teeny little pump, and so on. Plants could sit right on top of the refrigerator cabinet.

Bookmark   May 28, 2014 at 5:36PM
More Discussions
Squash and Cucumber - Started Too Early
I started some plants indoors under a t5 grow light...
PollenClouds
What size cell to pot up?
Hello, longtime lurker here. I am growing vegetables...
shire38
Paper Seed Starting Boxes (Tapesless - of course! It's origami :)
I'm having so much fun making these boxes for seed...
phylis
Pepper Seeds from Commercial Dried Peppers
Has anyone had any success growing peppers from seeds...
goldenz5
Recommendations for seed starting medium please
I started gardening for fun about 2 years ago. I have...
mannie3moon
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™