Evergreen shrubs yellowing

dhar2112April 27, 2012

I have (4) of these shrubs. (3) are doing very well. This particular one is thinning out and yellowing:

It's about 2 feet away from another evergreen shrub/tree (sorry don't know the type, but here's the pic):

The yellowing shrub has been in the ground for about 10 years now and just started this a year or so ago. Wondering if the close proximity to the other shrub is causing a moisture issue, crowded out, etc? Don't see where there's any insect problem. Is this possibly an iron issue? Hate to lost this one. Any help is appreciated! Sorry the pics are that large!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5

need a better pic of the yellowing plant.. in focus would really help.. as would a pic of the whole ...

ken

Bookmark   April 27, 2012 at 12:08PM
dhar2112

These are better:

Bookmark   April 27, 2012 at 12:43PM
ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5

i am sorry.. but with a lack of focus on any picture.. in full sun.. its hard to see any pattern ... or the difference between the green and the yellow needles ..

one thing for sure.. it doesnt look healthy ...

ken

Bookmark   April 28, 2012 at 3:26PM
strobiculate

Its called being pruned to within an inch (less actually) of its life. In this case literally.

time, a bit of fertilizer-and restraint with the hdge trimmer-will work wonders.

as for the reason...evergreens are not evergreen because they never lose thier foliage. The only lose old foliage and this is usually covered by the emergence of the new. In this case, nearly all of the new was cut back revealing the process of senence in the older foliage.

Bookmark   April 28, 2012 at 5:27PM
dhar2112

Thanks. Yeah, the finance' gets a little out of control with the clippers. What fertilizer would you recommend? Thanks!

Bookmark   April 30, 2012 at 9:23AM
More Discussions
'Sugar Shack' Buttonbush
Anyone have experience with this cultivar? I've always...
northraleighguy
Jelena witch hazel
Spring 2012 few blooms Spring 2013 it bloomed great. Spring...
mainegard3
Grafting rose of sharon
I know that most people consider rose of sharon a pest...
Derby42 zone 6
Selecting shrubs for my new front bed
I'm in the planning stages for the bed at the southeast...
nonconformist_nymphette
Hello, I need help with my hazelnuts
About 8 years ago I purchased 20 Twigs with roots....
audreyandmerle
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™