I need to thin my tomato seedlings - HELP

mahuchi(z6, wash, dc)May 6, 2013

So my seedling have been doing great - I really didn't think the tomatoes would all take so well, once they started germinating and the seedlings were tiny - I couldn't bare to "thin" them. Now I am days away from planting them out on my deck in their final pots - and I've got some cells with 3-4 seedlings.

Should I just plant as is, there are 4 seedlings in this cell? Or try to separate?

What about his one - there are only 2 seedings in this cel...and maybe I could separate them safely?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mahuchi(z6, wash, dc)

oops here is the photo with the cell with 4 seedlings.

Bookmark   May 6, 2013 at 7:03PM
charlieboring

I have the same problem. I carefully separate the plant roots and plant them individually. I can usually save all plants, but I do occassionally destroy one of the siamese twins or quads in your case. If it is still too early to plant in their drowing location, transplant them into a little larger pot until the night temps or above 60 degrees or be prepared to cover them at night. What type of tomatoes are you growing?

Bookmark   May 7, 2013 at 7:09AM
calistoga_al ca 15 usda 9

Most of us start more tomatoes than we need. Why save the extras that are competing for root space? I would have clipped them off way before they grew to this size. Al

Bookmark   May 7, 2013 at 9:15AM
mahuchi(z6, wash, dc)

Thanks for the advice so far. So do I cut th at the dirt line, or try to separate the roots.? I'm confused, and want to do whatever will give them the best shot.

Bookmark   May 7, 2013 at 10:32AM
charlieboring

IF YOU DON'T CARE TO TRY TO SAVE THE EXTRA PLANTS, JUST CUT THE EXTRAS AT THE DIRT LINE.

Bookmark   May 7, 2013 at 10:48AM
lelia(Northern Cal)

Yes, cut all but one seedling per cell! A single tomato plant, even a determinate one, will become a massive, heavy vine. (Which it would be wise to keep in mind, by the way, when choosing your pot size).

Bookmark   May 7, 2013 at 11:52AM
noinwi

If you can't stand the thought of culling them or if you want to give away the extras, you could gently work the roots apart in a bucket of water and plant them in their own pots.

Bookmark   May 7, 2013 at 2:14PM
susanzone5(z5NY)

Pull them apart with dry soil. Don't be afraid. Save the healthiest plant, then sink the whole stem into the soil up to the first set of true leaves. Tomatoes are not delicate.

Bookmark   May 8, 2013 at 6:08PM
susanzone5(z5NY)

Pull them apart with dry soil. Don't be afraid. Save the healthiest plant, then sink the whole stem into the soil up to the first set of true leaves. Tomatoes are not delicate.

Bookmark   May 8, 2013 at 7:44PM
tdscpa(z5 NWKS)

I often put 4 seedlings into a tray cell that size, one in each corner. As soon as they grow two pairs of true leaves (much smaller than those in the photo), I use an ice tea spoon to scoop out each corner's tomato plant and transplant into a 9 oz. plastic cup. I just use the spoon to cut through the roots.

I never lose one, and the plants I grow are just as healthy as they would be if each was started in a separate cell.

Bookmark   May 18, 2013 at 7:51PM
More Discussions
Should I pot up or go straight to garden?
Do I need to pot up my seedlings? I have a pretty successful...
minuet_7a
Damping Off disease and Chamomile
Specific inquiry to Chamomile; proven or myth? I am...
ngrrsn
Help! Pro-mix BX and green algae
This is my first time to use Pro-mix BX. I kept hearing...
BloomCin Zone 6b North Jersey
Thank you All
I've been on GardenWeb forever, but I lurk mostly,...
patchworkfarm (z6 CT)
Question about growing from seed in small greenhouse
Hi everyone, I bought a small greenhouse from Ocean...
mcolangelo1221
Sponsored Products
Fairmont Designs 24" Lifestyle Collection Shaker II Vanity - Polar White
Modern Bathroom
Horizontal Rim Lock Set with Striped Brown Porcelain Knobs
Signature Hardware
Augusto Chair
Grandin Road
Black Damask Shade Brushed Nickel Swing Arm Desk Lamp
Lamps Plus
Max Beam Side Table by Kartell
$360.00 | Lumens