Large tree, currently in bloom

CathyJ(USDA-8 West WA)August 14, 2014

From afar, I thought this was a Dogwood simply blooming out of season; however, after having seen the foliage, I now have my doubts. Any thoughts? Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
thedecoguy

Cornus sp.

Bookmark   August 15, 2014 at 12:30AM
esh_ga

Can we see the foliage?

Bookmark   August 15, 2014 at 9:42AM
dbarron(z7_Arkansas)

Sure does look like one.

Bookmark   August 15, 2014 at 9:45AM
CathyJ(USDA-8 West WA)

Unfortunately, this is about as good as it gets as far as detail of the foliage goes. If this is indeed a species of Cornus, any idea which one? I've never seen Cornus with such thick, glossy foliage before. What's also throwing me is the number of petals: In looking on-line I now see that our native Dogwood, Cornus nuttalli, is pictured with as many as 6 petals. However, I don't know that I have ever seen one in this vicinity with more than four; ditto Cornus florida. Is C. nuttalli that highly variable?

Bookmark   August 15, 2014 at 3:26PM
dbarron(z7_Arkansas)

I think you got it (nutalli).
I've never seen a dogwood bloom out of season, but apparently it does (looked up).

Bookmark   August 15, 2014 at 3:36PM
CathyJ(USDA-8 West WA)

There are two of these trees within maybe 3 miles of each other, one growing alongside the freeway and the other in a yard (the one pictured). That was my first inclination, also: C. nuttalli, blooming out of season; however, these two are so different from the rest of the natives that once I got a closer look at them, it made me reconsider. Very dark green, glossy foliage and loaded with blooms, while the usual nuttalli are actually rather anemic-looking, even in full sun. Of course, those in the full sun do have more blooms than those in the more densely-wooded areas, but I've never seen one with this many flowers. I'll see if I can get some additional pictures of both and post them, because now I'm really curious as to exactly how these specimens do differ. Thank you!

Bookmark   August 15, 2014 at 3:47PM
CathyJ(USDA-8 West WA)

There are two of these trees within maybe 3 miles of each other, one growing alongside the freeway and the other in a yard (the one pictured). That was my first inclination, also: C. nuttalli, blooming out of season; however, these two are so different from the rest of the natives that once I got a closer look at them, it made me reconsider. Very dark green, glossy foliage and loaded with blooms, while the usual nuttalli are actually rather anemic-looking, even in full sun. Of course, those in the full sun do have more blooms than those in the more densely-wooded areas, but I've never seen one with this many flowers. I'll see if I can get some additional pictures of both and post them, because now I'm really curious as to exactly how these specimens do differ. Thank you!

Bookmark   August 15, 2014 at 5:06PM
esh_ga

Certainly the opposite leaf arrangement helps to indicate that it could be a dogwood. Very pretty.

Bookmark   August 15, 2014 at 9:02PM
Olychick

Dogwood often bloom twice in the PNW, once earlier in the spring and then in late summer.

Bookmark   August 16, 2014 at 2:08AM
More Discussions
what is this seedling ?
looks like a perennial, not a weed, but what ? (the...
castro_gardener
Is this crinum?
I actually don't remember planting this. It has been...
purslanegarden
nameless evergreen shrub
Please help ID:
imcheetah
Halesia species?
Is it possible to determine species from these pics?...
Tiffany, purpleinopp GardenWeb, Z8b Opp, AL
Sponsored Products
Slamp | Flora Medium Suspension Light
$835.00 | YLighting
Nantucket Tall Tapered Planter
Grandin Road
Shrimp Bromeliad Floral Arrangement
$399.00 | FRONTGATE
Bloom Satin Nickel 66 to 120 Inch Double Curtain Rod
$82.95 | Bellacor
Lilac Purple Sutter Duvet Cover - Queen / Full
Crane and Canopy