Marigolds Seedlings - Do I Pinch?

nutsaboutflowers(2b/3a)May 6, 2010

I've read a ton of information on here regarding pinching seedlings, but I didn't find specific info for Marigolds.

I'm assuming once they get over about 3 inches tall, I should start pinching (?)

My instinct is to just go ahead and do it, but since this is my second attempt growing these, if I do something wrong now, I'm out of time for this year.

Should I pinch?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
sleepy33(5b KS)

Man, I wouldn't, but that's me. I mean, you can't hardly kill marigolds, so I think they'll do fine whatever you decide. I think some people are pinchers and some aren't. I'm not, but maybe that's just because I wouldn't have any confidence about where to pinch each of the bajillion different varieties I grow. I dunno, maybe if you have some sort of real tall variety of marigold, all of mine are very compact and short as it is. Like they don't have really 'sets' of leaves like taller plants, they are just sort of a bit of stem, then one set of the ferny leaves.

Bookmark   May 6, 2010 at 8:50PM
oilpainter(3)

NO, No, NO
Don't pinch back marigolds. They don't neeed it. They branch out and get bushy quite naturally. In my experience even the taller ones get bushy. That's the whole premise for pinching things back--to make them bush out.

Whenever you think about pinching anything back, ask yourself "do I need to do this to make it bushier" If the answer is yes then pinch--if it's no then leave them alone

Bookmark   May 6, 2010 at 9:22PM
oilpainter(3)

A plant is programmed to grow and produce seeds. The leader--top--is boss and the good goes to it to produce seeds. What's left over goes to the branches. If you remove the top leaves and a bit of the stem the plant goes into survival mode and produces lots of stems so it can do what it is programmed to do and produce seeds. These stems unlike the leader are all equal and the good is divided equally to them all, so you get a bushy plant.

Sometimes when we deadhead we do this naturally. Like with Marigolds. Remove the top flower after it dies and you are pinching it back and it produces more branches and as a consequence more flowers.

Bookmark   May 7, 2010 at 5:46AM
digdirt2(6b-7a No.Cent. AR HZ8 Sun-35)

Pinching ANYTHING is purely optional. It is never required. When in doubt, don't pinch and as other have said there is definitely no need to pinch marigolds.

Dave

Bookmark   May 7, 2010 at 9:21AM
More Discussions
Question about growing from seed in small greenhouse
Hi everyone, I bought a small greenhouse from Ocean...
mcolangelo1221
Grasses from seed
I'm getting ready to sow a variety of (native NA) grasses...
mpem15
Help! Pro-mix BX and green algae
This is my first time to use Pro-mix BX. I kept hearing...
BloomCin Zone 6b North Jersey
Should I pot up or go straight to garden?
Do I need to pot up my seedlings? I have a pretty successful...
minuet_7a
Germination time for Lily of the Valley started indoors
As a newbie, this is my first year starting plants...
SnowStorm
Sponsored Products
Vig Furniture - Marigold - Modern Full Leather Sectional Sofa -...
Great Furniture Deal
Marigold Grommet Blackout Thermal Curtain Panel Pair
Overstock.com
Zanzibar Chini Indoor/Outdoor Pillow - MARIGOLD
$130.00 | Horchow
Wild Marigold Handcrafted Light Southwest Table Lamp
Lamps Plus
Indian Marigold Handcrafted Southwest Table Lamp
Lamps Plus
Contemporary Indoor/Outdoor Area Rug: Linon Home Decor Rugs Trio Collection
$35.97 | Home Depot
Tibetan Floral Leaf Indoor Rug