Hardening Off Hyacinth Bean and JMG

patrick212May 10, 2010

Does anyone have experience in hardening off Hyacinth Bean Vine and/or Japanese Morning Glory (Picotee)? Both of these vines seem very sensative to the cold (mid 50s). I have a good deal of experience in hardening off the plants I grow from seeds and these two varieties show some pretty serious wilting with cooler temperatures and wind. They bounce back within an hour of bringing them back inside.

I know that Hyacinth Bean typically likes the heat but none of the other Morning Glories that I've grown have been this sensitive. Of the 16 flats I'm hardening off these are the only two plants that are having problems. The plants are approximately 6 weeks old and very healthy.

Thanks in advance for any information you can share.

Take care, Pat

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
yiorges-z5il

YOU HAVE A 2 PART QUESTION YES THE HARDENING OFF PROCESS IS ONE IN WHICH YOU HELP THE PLANT MAKE THE TRANSFER FROM "THE HOUSE" TO "THE YARD" but YOU MUST ALSO CONSIDER THE CONDITIONS IN "THE YARD" MUST ALSO BE IDEAL FOR THE SPECIFIC PLANT ... FOR EXAMPLE DO NOT TRY TO TAKE A TROPICAL PLANT OUTSIDE AT THE NORTH POLE

Bookmark   May 16, 2010 at 8:38AM
keriann_lakegeneva(5B WI/IL border)

I only direct seed these two because I heard they do not like to be transplanted.

Hmmm.. odd problem....

I know my corkscrew vines get really really droopy in the sun and then pop back up in the shade. They have been hardening off for 2 weeks now.

Maybe they just need a longer time in the shade?

Let me know how they do.

Keriann~

Bookmark   May 16, 2010 at 10:01AM
ron_2008(5)

A week ago I transplaned 5 Hyacinth Bean plants I started from seed and none of them are going to make it. I'll just plant new seeds in another week or so. The cold nights we've been having were too much for these plants.

Bookmark   May 16, 2010 at 3:57PM
patrick212

Everyone, thanks for the comments.

We had some warmer weather of the last couple of days in Chicago and both the vines did well overnight. I planted everything in containers on Sunday and the vines are doing well.

I think that the Hyacinth in particular was just more sensitive to cold/windy weather. I'll remember that for next year.

Take care, Pat

Bookmark   May 17, 2010 at 9:52AM
More Discussions
Growing without heat mats
So I have only been growing from seed for a few years...
planterjeff
Time for some early seed starting!
Got my seeds today. In about a week or so I will start...
Peter1142
Germinating Begonias, Imps, & Pets.......
Been propagating from seed for 5-6 years now.... Surface...
cugal
Recommendations for seed starting medium please
I started gardening for fun about 2 years ago. I have...
mannie3moon
Also why are my seedings growing towards the window instead of up?
I planted some morning glory's and sensitive plants. I...
tlbean2004
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™