Stairwell

cheloneDecember 1, 2008

These are the Hemlock posts before any pickling. I've filled big cracks and gaps in more "open" knots.

And here they are again after 2 coats of pickling and 2 coats of a satin finish clear coat. I rather like the effect the filler had on the overall "figuring" of the wood.

The posts and rails in their places.

The posts are lagged into the framing of the stairwell. We will cover the lags with something decorative. The shims allowed the helpmeet to plumb them up and will be cut away.

The ballusters are being aligned with the rails and are screwed into position at the top and the bottom after being spaced 4" apart.

The entire balluster "unit" is then inserted in between the main rails and is finish nailed into place. I will fill the nailholes.

Only two more "inserts" to go.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
woodyoak zone 5 Canada

Wonderful! I'm mightily impressed! I hope you and the helpmeet are patting yourselves on the back with very pleased/satisfied grins on your faces :-)

Bookmark   December 1, 2008 at 6:35PM
veronicastrum(z5 IL)

A job well done, and a process well documented!

Atta girl!

V.

Bookmark   December 1, 2008 at 6:56PM
gardenbug(Canada zone 5)

Truly in helpmeet mode!

Bookmark   December 1, 2008 at 7:10PM
prairiemoon2 z6 MA

Nice! I love the openness of your space! I remember now why I like pickled finishes so much. :-) Such nice texture and grain showing through. You both are doing a great job with what I would consider a difficult job to pull off.

:-)

Bookmark   December 1, 2008 at 7:36PM
triple_creek(z5)

Looking good deah!

Bookmark   December 1, 2008 at 9:06PM
Marian_2(Z6 ARKozarks)

Yep. It is looking great! I think Nolon wishes I had been into doing that type of work, but I am limited in my talents. :-(

( LOL, Norma, I like your New England "deah" ....)

Bookmark   December 1, 2008 at 10:00PM
dodgerdudette

Wow, I'm glad you put that puppy up!!Erases potetial safety issues at IU summer camp-one does not wish to see Idyllers falling down the stairs after too many cocktails.

Kathy in Napa

Bookmark   December 1, 2008 at 10:49PM
ctlavluvr

Wow!! Tedious, painstaking, but definitely worth the work in the end. Way to go, Chelone!

Martie

Bookmark   December 2, 2008 at 6:33AM
saucydog(z5MA)

I'm loving the color scheme, and the pickling choice! I can see your vision coming to fruition!

Can't wait to see it in person :)

Saucy

Bookmark   December 2, 2008 at 6:42AM
michelle_zone4

Very impressive! The pickling looks great with the wall color. Have you made a decision on the floor? You and the helpmeet make a great team.

Michelle

Bookmark   December 3, 2008 at 1:39PM
chelone

Thanks guys. I'll get a shot with all the ballusters in place, probably when I begin the hearth project.

I'm pleased with the color scheme, too, Lisa, though some days I'm skeptical about the walls. The vibrancy of the color is just outside my "comfort zone", but I'm determined to live with it until the room is "finished". I think finishing the hearth, the trim around the windows, and the floor is going to "take the edge of it" for me and I'm going to end up loving it.

I've only begun thinking about the floor, Michelle. There is no money in the budget for any sort of "finished" flooring. Besides that, for my trade, use of the floor for large lay-outs is very common. It can be helpful to staple out items to get a clearer picture of the precise shape. I'll probably throw a few coats of deck paint on it and call it, "good to go". Cheap, washable, and would still allow me to staple into it.

Now it's time to tile the hearth and get the stove hooked up. I really, really want to look at my pretty stove without taking the protective box off it first!

Bookmark   December 3, 2008 at 5:13PM
saucydog(z5MA)

How about a yankee spattered floor with all your leftover paints flecked in? That'd be fun!

Lisa.

Bookmark   December 3, 2008 at 7:40PM
gardenbug(Canada zone 5)

I like that idea Saucy!

Bookmark   December 3, 2008 at 8:26PM
lmcilhargie

Wow, that's alot of work Chelone. Well done! Looks great. I enjoy seeing the progress on the salon.

Eden

Bookmark   December 5, 2008 at 6:55PM
deanneart(z5Southern NH)

Beautiful Chelone!!!!! What a lot of work but the end result is fantastic!
Deanne

Bookmark   December 6, 2008 at 9:54AM
denisez10(SoCal)

You and the helpmeet make a great team. It's all coming along beautifully. Bravo!

Bookmark   December 7, 2008 at 1:00AM
More Discussions
Your Monkshood?
I have an established stand of some unnamed aconitum...
rouge21_gw
Are you missing past content?
I went searching for my old comments on GW and according...
prairiemoon2 z6 MA
Suggestions To Make This Forum Better
A Private Message feature would be great! Add yours!...
WendyJoZ8
What plant are you anxiously awaiting the return of in the spring?
Well, maybe not *anxiously* awaiting but awaiting nevertheless. For...
mxk3
Winterizing perennials?
Just moved into a new home with lots of established...
chaven
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™