maltese cross keep dying help please

Tink5980(7a)May 3, 2012

I only have a few seeds left :( they come up really good but then just die before they get an inch tall? HELP PLEASE

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ifraser25(z11 Brazil)

If you want a good answer to this you need to give us a lot more info. What are the seeds growing in? What type of compost? How much light? How much water etc etc?

However, the fact that they have grown for about a week and then collapsed, 99 times out of a hundred is "damping off". This is a generic term used to describe bacterial/ fungal infection caused by stagnant, infected compost. Sterilize the compost before sowing by baking for 2-3 minutes in the microwave and water with tap water. Sow in good light and with good ventilation. Good luck.

Bookmark   May 3, 2012 at 8:59PM
rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7

It doesn't even have to be 'infected' potting soil for one of the ubiquitous 'damping off' disorders to take hold. A poorly drained, mucky potting mix is often part of the problem. So is too much moisture. If your seedlings are not getting enough light, the stems will be leggy and spindly, with weak cell walls.

As ifraser says, it will be very difficult for anyone to help you without knowing a lot more information. YOU have to help us before we can steer you in the right direction.

Bookmark   May 4, 2012 at 10:27AM
digdirt2(6b-7a No.Cent. AR HZ8 Sun-35)

Why are there 3 postings of this same question, all dated the same day, yet no replies to any of the requests for more information?

If you can't see your post after you post it the first time then you need to refresh the page. There is no need to keep posting the same question over and over.

Dave

See: http://forums2.gardenweb.com/forums/load/seed/msg052019442057.html?1

http://forums2.gardenweb.com/forums/load/seed/msg0520143831049.html?1

Bookmark   May 4, 2012 at 4:32PM
More Discussions
calling all Canadians
Any Canadian wanting a seedling heat mat Home Hardware...
dowlinggram
looking for nifty ideas for cross ventilation
I need a very basic solution to providing some cross...
njitgrad
Nasturtium from seed
hi, i'm currently planting some nasturtium seeds (about...
rosche
Pepper Seeds from Commercial Dried Peppers
Has anyone had any success growing peppers from seeds...
goldenz5
Paper Seed Starting Boxes (Tapesless - of course! It's origami :)
I'm having so much fun making these boxes for seed...
phylis
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™