Help! Water lily noob!

RiasnowAugust 8, 2014

I recently bought two water lily's from Lowes one a nymphaea chromatella and the other is a nymphaea james brydon. I am a new pond owner so I have many questions as can be seen in my other recent post. My uv filtration system has been running for a good 48 hours now, and I placed the plants in 24 hours ago. How long will it take for me to notice new growth? I know nothing about water lilies and when I opened the container and pulled out the net bad that it came in, the bulb type plants were black but there was still some moisture inside the dome. I really hope they aren't dead... Any information that may help? I'd much appreciate it. :)

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Riasnow

You can see the floating plant locators on the pond surface, if anyone has any other plant suggestions for me to scavenge for in the local streams in zone 9 please don't hold back. I plan on adding commet golfish once the plants are established comfortably and some bugs come to take residence in the pond, so if anyone has any idea of the type of plants that will feed my fish a healthy diet, or feed the bugs my fish will eat, that will help a lot, too!

Bookmark   August 8, 2014 at 12:25AM
catherinet(5 IN)

I hope they were in better shape than the one I bought from Menards (Drop and Grow). It was deader than a doornail, but the lady at the company said, "have faith....it WILL grow". Well, it didn't. An all of the containers of these lilies that various places were selling all looked just as dead.
You should have seen leaves in your container when you bought it. I hope you saved the receipt.

Bookmark   August 8, 2014 at 11:30AM
Riasnow

so far, so dead... one seems to want to sprout something, I'm just gonna leave them in the water for a good month and see if anything happens, but so far it doesn't look good... I'm gonna go kidnap a couple of wild plants instead from a stream behind an uncle of mines house and be done with it so I can release the fish in there before they grow old! Thanks for your input, I really appreciate the gesture :)

Bookmark   August 12, 2014 at 10:51PM
chas045(7b)

If you are in or near a large urban area, I would suggest that you look on craigslist for a ponder who has extra plants. However, it is too soon to worry about your plants. Even big divided clumps of lily plants don't take right off. Well, actually, I have never divided one in the summer and I suppose they should grow faster now.

Bookmark   August 13, 2014 at 9:28AM
More Discussions
I'm a bad steward of my pond. :(
I only have a 300 gallon Rubbermaid stock tank sunk...
catherinet
Rubbermaid Stock Tank Problems
I have a 100-gallong rubbermaid stock tank. When it...
buckhornstables
Making Mechanical Prefilter for submersible pump
My medium sized pond is currently using the Savio watermaster...
supahenzi
Dressing and coping a formal pond
Is there any general advice for how to dress the interior...
ysrgrathe PA 6b
Question about pumps
I have a 300 gallon Rubbermaid stock tank sunk into...
catherinet
Sponsored Products
Travel Bag for Mixed Drink Maker
$50.00 | FRONTGATE
Wheat Grass
Overstock.com
Kraus C-KCV-141-15100CH White Round Ceramic Sink and Typhon Faucet - Chrome - C-
$309.95 | Hayneedle
Regent Court Large Walnut Three-Light Outdoor Wall Mount
$359.00 | Bellacor
Jensen Glass Waterfall Faucet with Pop-Up Drain
Signature Hardware
Contemporary Indoor/Outdoor Area Rug: Chandra Rugs Zeal Charcoal 7 ft. 9 in. x
Home Depot
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™